Mini Smoker Mod

JHunter, potential leeching of harmful chemicals (zinc I believe).

Here's a link to some discussions of galvanized materials in barbeques and other applications.

http://www.finishing.com/217/03.shtml

I don't know the credentials of the author of the answers, but his answers indicate that contact with the coals and/or heat is OK, but not contact with the food.

"but my own personal comfort level is that I would use such lath (galvanized) to hold the coals in a homemade grill, but I would not put the food on it. For that I'd use stainless steel, nickel plated, or ceramic coated grates."

John

it takes considerable heat to make that stuff "toxic". most times its very short term. you can pre burn whatever off if yer concerned. as to stove pipe i can only find that it is usually painted steel. thats it.

Originally posted by chris schnautz:
This is the coolest Smokey Joe mod I've seen!! Saw a pic of this at a recent competition...and after hounding the boys at C&C Grillin' Co (makers of the Cajun Bandit) I've got a few pics...

smokiebandit006.jpg

smokiebandit007.jpg

smokiebandit003.jpg

smokiebandit009.jpg

Here's a link to an album:
http://s900.photobucket.com/al...mini%20smoker%20mod/

The hinged door, water pan, charcoal basket!! Awesome!! This looks very much like a scaled down version of the Cajun Bandit mod for 22.5" kettles!!

It seems that these are not quite in full production. They're not even sure what to call it. It was suggested to me that they will have a bit of a naming contest: the person with the best name will receive a Smokey Joe and the mini smoker mod. I'd visit their site and send name suggestion through their contact page.

Had been planning another tamale steamer mod...thinking now I'll wait for this bad boy!!

Check out Q talk at Brethren website Brian M.(swamprb) has got pics of the prototype mini cajun bandit in action. Got to check it out myself tonight. I'm impressed.

And I would call it .... The Andouille Louie.

Andouille kinda keeps it in the same theme as a Cajun Bandit. Also, Louie is kinda a cute, happily diminutive name. A little Louie, for the little Smokey Joe. Buy one today.

I like my temps to be 275 to 300. Can this be achieved with a clay saucer? I noticed georged said he used something different. Some info from him would be awesome.

thanks guys

i bought my steamer last night and ill be buyin the rest tomorrow.

i see no reason you can't use the clay saucer and get high heat. i just use the tray/divider supplied and then put a trivet and foil covered pan on that to catch the grease. simple, near no cost and it works fine.

Originally posted by Matt T:
I like my temps to be 275 to 300. Can this be achieved with a clay saucer? I noticed georged said he used something different. Some info from him would be awesome.

thanks guys

i bought my steamer last night and ill be buyin the rest tomorrow.

I use a clay saucer. I cooked 2 8 pound rib roasts over Christmas and had no trouble getting it up over 275 when I needed to. With the vents wide open on the SJG, mine seems to want to run around 300-310 on Kingsford and about 325 with lump.

Back