Midnight Chuck Cook

Larry Wolfe

Closed Account
My wife and I took my daughter to the circus tonight and got home way after my bedtime.....so I argued with myself about either waking up early tomorrow morning to put the chuck roast on, or put it on tonight and sleep in tomorrow....so the weather is beautiful and the dog wanted to play ball, so I decided what the heck and decided to put it on tonight.

This is a 10lb chuck roast that I got on sale at Giant for $1.79lb, splashed with worcestershire sauce, then Wolfe Rub Bold. Cooking over Original KF and hickory chunks. We'll have shredded beef sandwiches for dinner tomorrow and the rest will be vacuum sealed for meals in the future.

2009-04-19014.jpg
2009-04-19016.jpg
2009-04-19018.jpg

Lucky! I wish I had the WSM fired up tonight
icon_frown.gif
Tomarrow it will get to see some action. I have 6 sasuage logs (2hot, 2reg, 2bacon) thawed for fatties and a couple lbs of ground ribeye for smoked burgers. I'm jonesin for some smoke! Thanks for the photos Larry, keep em comming.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Benny L.:
Holy Jesus, a 10lb chuck roast!? I searched tw </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The primal cut 'chuck roll' can weigh in excess of 20lbs! They had a 16lber in the back, but I didn't need one that big.

Chuck is finally at 165º and is now foiled and will continue to cook until tender. My little girl and I both sampled a couple little stragling bits of bark and OH MY, I can't wait to eat! YUM.

I'll post finished pic's once everything is done!

2009-04-19019.jpg
2009-04-19020.jpg
2009-04-19022.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tony C.:
looks great, i wish i had some wolfe bold for my siroin tip roast </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL! You will soon! I'll trade 2 chuck sammiches for 2 sirloin sammiches!
icon_wink.gif

Chuck is done, pic's aren't so great, I couldn't get the flash to work right....... The finished product was better than expected! My toughest critic said so....

2009-04-19024.jpg
2009-04-19025.jpg
2009-04-19028.jpg
2009-04-19030.jpg
2009-04-19031.jpg
2009-04-19033.jpg
2009-04-19038.jpg

Larry

Chuck looks great. Think I'll get one when there on sale and give it a try again haven't made one in a while.

You said you got the chuck at Giant, I assume you mean the grocery store Giant ?

If so why can't I find any Chuck roasts in my Giant that big 10 lbs. The one's they put out in the meat case are 3 maybe 4 lbs.

Any Thoughts ??

Thanks

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Larry

Chuck looks great. Think I'll get one when there on sale and give it a try again haven't made one in a while.

You said you got the chuck at Giant, I assume you mean the grocery store Giant ?

If so why can't I find any Chuck roasts in my Giant that big 10 lbs. The one's they put out in the meat case are 3 maybe 4 lbs.

Any Thoughts ??

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, Giant food store. I think they put out smaller roasts because the common customer does not need a 10lb roast (they won't fit in their crock pot
icon_razz.gif
). Ask meat man to cut you the size you'd like. Giant receives their meat like we typically buy it from a wholesaler like BJ's. They have the whole chuck roll in cryovac and then cut several roasts from that. He asked if I wanted the whole roll, but I really didn't need or want to cook so much for this cook. Get there in the morning while they're still cutting meat to put out for the day and you should be able to get what you want.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Furdyn:
Larry Thanks

I wasn't aware of that, I guess all you have to do is ask.

Regards </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A sample from time to time HELPS too!!

Larry

I'm curious do you think there is an advantage to cooking a 10 lb chuck roast as opposed to cooking smaller ones, say (3) 3.3 lbs roasts.

Just like your thoughts on that ?

Thanks,

Larry

I'm curious do you think there is an advantage to cooking a 10 lb chuck roast as opposed to cooking smaller ones, say (3) 3.3 lbs roasts.

Just like your thoughts on that ?

Thanks, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, I absolutely do John. I've cooked small 3lbers and large 8-10lbers and the larger ones are always more tender and moist and literally fall apart, meaning there's NO effort in pulling them. The smaller ones are good, just not as good and they seem a little more difficult to pull. I don't really know why the bigger ones are better than the smaller ones, but they are. I cook them identically, in the 245º-260º range, foil at 165º and pull when tender, which is typically around 200º-205º. They seem to be consistently 'done' at the 1.5hr per lb mark too, regardless of the size.

Larry

Thanks again.

Now you have me wanting to try bigger chuck roasts.

I usually cook (2) 3-4 lb roasts, at the same time, with pretty good results.

Regards,

Larry

What's the yield on the larger Chuck Roast's.

About the same as Butt 50-60% after cooking ?

Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That sounds about right! I didn't weigh the finished product on this cook, but to give you an idea. Sunday my wife, daughter and myself had dinner (1 sandwich each), then I brought some into work and fed 5 co-workers 2 healthy sandwiches each and vacuum sealed and froze 2 bags probably about 1.5lbs each. So I'm guess I had about 5-5.5lbs of finished product.

Back