Middle burner higher, yellow Spirit E310

Mark Goodrich

Hello, I have a Spirit E310, bought early last fall. The middle burner flame on high (start) is approximately 1 inch taller than the other two burners. When cooking, that burner throws yellow flames out both sides of the flavorizer. The burner also makes fluttering noise as expected by a gas burner turned too high. I've cleaned the burner, to no avail...wasn't dirty, anyway.

Can anyone offer suggestion on how to even the burner flames out (besides the obvious, turn the middle burner down lower, which is kind of a hassle peering through the grates.

And turning to other news, the left burner lights right up, but the holes going to the uh, whatsit flame carrier across the back..on a diagonal..rarely light that whatsit until I blow into the grill. Sometimes that is exciting when burner number two suddenly blooms.

Thanks in advance for help with both issues.

Sounds like you have some blockage issues in the manifold/valves or burners/crossover tube. That "flame carrier" is called a crossover tube. I would probably start by removing all the burners and crossover tube and cleaning them all up and see if that helps. If not, then pull the manifold and clean that up. You will probably have to remove the valves and make sure there are no blockages in the manifold itself or the valves.

Sounds like you have some blockage issues in the manifold/valves or burners/crossover tube. That "flame carrier" is called a crossover tube. I would probably start by removing all the burners and crossover tube and cleaning them all up and see if that helps. If not, then pull the manifold and clean that up. You will probably have to remove the valves and make sure there are no blockages in the manifold itself or the valves.
Thanks for the detailed reply, Bruce, I'll try those things. Surprised it's a problem after so few uses.

Start with a GOOD cleaning of the burners (inside and out) pay attention as well to the spider guards

Thanks, LMichaels, I intend to attack the thing today or tomorrow. I'm still nonplussed at the early onset of problems requiring deep cleaning.

Thanks, LMichaels, I intend to attack the thing today or tomorrow. I'm still nonplussed at the early onset of problems requiring deep cleaning.
The new ones (Weber grills) are not all that good anymore. Made in China and all that. Really IMO there is no reason to pay the high cost to buy them.
Now, that being said, maintenance is important and varies depending how you use the appliance, how and what you cook, conditions of how and where it is kept and so on.

Wonder if the tubes are off a bit from the ideal spot. Hopefully one valve is not messed up. Spider guards. Recheck the burners to make sure they are connected right

Back