Mickey's brisket

G

I tried using some Cuban-style flavorings for my brisket this weekend, so I thought I'd share my recipe with everyone. The flavor was really good, I thought. If you're looking for something different, give it a try, and let me know what you think.

1 large vidalia onion
1/3 c. lime juice
1/3 c. white wine vinegar
1/3 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. crushed oregano
1 tsp. zest of lime
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar

Slice the onion into rings, as thinly as you can. After trimming some fat off the brisket, with the fat side up, spread the onion rings out all over the brisket. Put all the ingredients in a salad dressing bottle, cap tightly, and shake vigorously. With the brisket in a deep roasting pan, pour the whole mixture over the brisket. (Don't wait too long, because the mixture starts to separate pretty quickly.) Make sure the whole thing gets wet.

Fire up the smoker and put on the brisket. Pour the liquid from the bottom of the pan back over the meat, being careful to keep the onions from falling off the side.

Prepare more of the same mixture to use for basting. (You'll need a lot.) Starting at the 6-hour mark, pour more sauce over the top every 2 hours. (I actually ran out of vinegar at one point, so I started using 1/2 cup lime juice and 1/2 cup oil. I'm not sure which version I like better! I might try less vinegar next time.)

After it's done, wrap in plastic and foil until serving time. Before slicing, pour any remaining sauce, warmed up, over the top of the meat.

Serve sliced meat with a lime wedge, which each person can squeeze onto the meat if desired.

By the way, I went light with the smoke wood, only 2 small, golf-ball-sized chunks of hickory and some pecan shells.

Enjoy!

--Mickey

Thanks Mickey, that sounds good. A helpful hint use a blender when fixing the sauce and it want separate.

Thanks for the tip. It's easy enough for me to shake it before using, but how long would the parts remain mixed after blending?

Used Mickey's baste sauce on some beef ribs instead of a brisket. Made a few alterations, but basically stuck with the original by Mickey:

Didn't do the onions-just didn't have the inclination to cut some up.

1/2 c. lime juice-fresh squeezed
no vinegar
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1 tbsp. chopped garlic
1 tsp. fresh spicy(hot)oregano
1 tsp. zest of lime
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. sugar
pinch or two of chipotle powder

Put it all in a blender which created an emulsion that never separated. Apllied to ribs about every 45 min to 1 hour. Turned out fantastic. In fact I think I'll try it on some pork. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Back