Michael Ruhlman's Maple Cured Bacon from "Charcuterie"

Wow those 2.5 bags are monstrous, must be a big slab of bacon. I think that the (thick and thin) ends of a belly are better suited to other applications besides bacon anyway - the nice bacon portion is located right smack in the center of the belly.

I like to trim 1.5-2 lbs off each end of the whole belly and reserve it for other uses, cure the middle. It will fit.

Just got done making the bacon. Followed the recipe exactly.

Smoke:
Temps: 170-200 Kept fighting to keep temps down on the WSM as they kept climbing but all in all a good smoke.
Used the minion method but think I lit too many to start ~1/4 of a weber chimney.

I used a my brand new stoker, and put water in the pan after about 1.5 hours to help with temps. The fan on the stoker never came on, but the temp monitoring was great!!!

Thoughts: It's a bit too sweet for me, but I'm not a real big fan of Maple Bacon from the store. It's bacon so I'm a fan, just not a big one
icon_smile.gif

IMG_0572.JPG

1/4 of a weber chimney.
Too much. I would use the same with or without an ATC, about 4-6 lit.

One of the key points of having an ATC is that no heat sink is required. (Using one can actually mess things up.) Start with just a few lit and let the ATC bring the temps up to your target.

Originally posted by Stefan B:
If i'm unable to locate Maple Sugar is there any sub for that like brown sugar or something else?? Or just skip it?...

I googled MS here in the states and in can be found from several sources.

Okay, not that I'm though about a pound of the bacon I have a few questions.

It's a little chewy and doesn't really crisp up.

Any ideas on how to fix this in the next batch?

Originally posted by Mark Kennedy:
Okay, not that I'm though about a pound of the bacon I have a few questions. It's a little chewy and doesn't really crisp up. Any ideas on how to fix this in the next batch?

The amount of smoking and curing has absolutely nothing to do with bacon crispness. It's all about how YOU fry it. Increase both the temperature and cooking time and you'll taste the difference! The thicker the slice, the hotter and longer the cook.

It also makes a difference how you drain it. Put each slice on paper towels, so they're not touching, and flip them after a minute. Wicking away any extra oil makes a remarkable difference.

If you're still having problems after trying that I'd go with a thinner slice.

The amount of smoking and curing has absolutely nothing to do with bacon crispness. It's all about how YOU fry it.
Agreed.

I never fry bacon. I always roast it. 400 oven. Flip once about halfway along, possibly again a few minutes before done.

Whatever your preference if it is not crisping it is not cooking long enough.

I can't second the roasting bacon @ 400 degrees enough. I don't think I'd ever really tasted the intricacies of bacon until I started cooking it like this. It can be as chewy or crisp as you like, it stays in perfect strips, and allows nuances to come out that I was never able to achieve in a skillet. And if you're going to spend the calories on bacon, why in the world not to have it at its best?

Originally posted by K Kruger: I never fry bacon. I always roast it. 400 oven. Flip once about halfway along, possibly again a few minutes before done...

In reading a basic cookbook it recommends using the same roasting method especially when the customer is a large institution. However, since I cook only 1 slice at a time it seems a waste to power up the oven to 400F. 8) But maybe I'll try that method after reading Letson's post.

Do. You can do more than one slice even if you only plan on eating one at the moment. The others can be fridged after cooling. Already cooked, a slice or two can be minced to include in a vinaigrette or creamy dressing or a mayonnaise (try this on grilled corn), can be chopped to top a salad or, say, a baked potato, can be included in a stuffing for something, or cn be quickly reheated to eat as a strip.

My bacon is sliced manually to a thickness of about 1/8th inch and I need a cooking time recommendation to start out with.

Flip in 10 min or so, again about 7 min after. That will give you a feel for it. You might flip again 5-7 min after.

Bacon continues cooking after removal from heat, crisps further when drained and blotted.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
Flip in 10 min or so, again about 7 min after. That will give you a feel for it. You might flip again 5-7 min after. Bacon continues cooking after removal from heat, crisps further when drained and blotted.

So you're implying that at 400F in the oven bacon needs to be flipped more than once?

hey Kevin. In your reasons for saying that roasting the bacon is much better you forgot one very important one. Roasting bacon is much easier for blind boys. When blind boys fry bacon and feel it to see how done it is or if the strips are nice and even, they say "ow" because they burn their fingers. For those of you who don't know me I am blind and Kevin has been instructing me on cooking for about five years now.

And you've been doing an amazing job. I think we started with how to cut ribs to St Louis style. Since, have branched into brisket, fresh and cured sausage making, dry cured sausage making, and I'm at a loss to remember what else.

The bacon does not necessarily have to be flipped more than once; doing so will give you an idea of how it is cooking and its level of doneness. After you've done it once or twice you can judge by look and feel if and when flipping is in order.

I think Steve has attempted to undertake way more than I have ever considered. Never done sausage, or used my stuffing tool for my Kitchenaid. One of these days!

Originally posted by Steve Gomes:
hey Kevin. In your reasons for saying that roasting the bacon is much better you forgot one very important one. Roasting bacon is much easier for blind boys. When blind boys fry bacon and feel it to see how done it is or if the strips are nice and even, they say "ow" because they burn their fingers. For those of you who don't know me I am blind and Kevin has been instructing me on cooking for about five years now.

I'll bet your sense of smell is totally out of this world!
icon_wink.gif

I do have a very keen sense of smell and have been known to act like a dog in a few situations. I also have two cochlear implants for my hearing. thanks all for the good kind words. Oh and I didn't tell you about the first pizza I tried to slide on the pizza stone. I missed and it went on the floor and my Irish Catholic guide dog ate a lot of it and I thik I had a marie Calendar pot pie that night

Back