Mexican Style Butt

Brian Swisher

I was thinking of doing a butt with some sort of mexican rub and maybe injecting with some simmered sauce and making enchiladas or tacos with it. Has anyone done something similar to this before? Any tips on rub or sauce recipes? I've been craving something "different" than just my normal pulled pork. Thanks for any info or links.

I'm waiting to see some replies on this one.
I tried a "spanish" version with goya adobo, and sazon with some tradional garlic/onion powder, paprika, little brown sugar. I think I had some other items in there to, but it has been to long to remember, and I didn't write it down. It didn't have the flavor I was looking for, haven't got around to trying it again.

Haven't tried it, but here's one from Smoke and Spice by Jamison. It's really just a recipe for a chili powder made from scratch:
Title: SOUTHWEST HEAT
Categories: Rubs, Bar-b-q, Mine
Yield: 1 Cup
1/2 c Ground dried New Mexican
Red chile
1/2 c Ground dried ancho chile
3 T Salt
3 T Ground Cumin
1 T Dried Oregano

Mix the spices thoroughly in a bowl. Store covered in a cool, dark
pantry.

I once did a pork but from a mexican recipe that used anchiote(sp?) paste, chili powder, salt, garlic, onions and a few other things. Wrapped and marinated in banana leaves over night, then smoked. Was amazing. Called Conchita Pibil. Many diferent variations on it but id say its absolutely worth trying.

Try:

1/2 c. ancho chili powder
3 tbl. salt
3 tbl. brown sugar
2 tbl. cumin
2 tbl. mexican oregano
2 tbl. garlic (3 if fresh)

I'd probably butterfly the butt until you have can "unroll" it to no more then 2 inches thick. Grill on the top rack of the WSM until fall apart tender.

Just like mexican pit BBQ.

I think there are two ways you could do it. Like most have mentioned, use a rub that is heavy on the chiles (4 parts guajillo, 2 parts chipotle, 1 part ancho is my favorite "cocktail"), along with lots of powdered coriander seeds, cumin and mexican oregano. Maybe some garlic and onion powder too to round it out. Balance the salt level so it equals the level of salt you usually like on a rub for butts.

The other method, which brian z mentioned, is cochinita pibil. It's an amazing dish. Kevin Kruger on these boards posted his recipe and technique - with pictures.

good luck!

Do try a recado rojo at some point, Brian. The recado part of my recipe at the link Adam posted above is easy to make. Cochinita pibil is delicious (a favorite of mine) but if you'd rather not go through all the motions the recado can be used as a rub instead of a marinade--just make it pastier by not adding as much liquid. Also, ingredient proportions can easily be altered to suit your taste--more of this less of that, whatever. Give it a shot sometime.

Back