Mexican Esquites - hot corn salad

JKalchik

TVWBB Emerald Member
This is really more of a method than a recipe. I sort of doubt that I'll be able to make it the same way twice.

Escquites is more or less similar to elotes (Mexican street corn) but it's taken off the cob before cooking. I'm told you can find both on the streets, esquites is served in a cup with a fork or a spoon as the corn has been taken off the cob. Esquites in a cup are a lot easier to eat IMHO than elotes on the cob. There's a great little mercado about 30 miles up the road that has a street corn stand outside that serves both esquites and elotes.

Sweet corn, 4 cobs, cut from the cob
Unsalted butter, 2 tbsp
Barbecue spice, 1 tbsp for the pan and 1 tsp for the sauce (below)
Onion, 1/4 cup, diced (I use sweet yellow,)
Green pepper, not quite as much as the onion
Cheese, white, crumbly style, and crumbled (1/2 cup?)

Sauce
Mayonnaise, 2 tbsp
Sour cream, 2 tbsp (I should try Mexican crema)
Barbecue spice (from above)

Heat a saute pan over medium low heat (just enough to brown butter,) and melt the butter. Sweat the onion and green pepper until just starting to turn translucent. Add the barbecue spice, cook until fragrant (that's an old Indian curry method,) should only take 20-30 seconds. Add the sweet corn kernel, and cook until just starting to caramelize. Add the crumbled cheese. Combine the mayo, sour cream, and remaining barbecue spice. Add the sauce and stir to combine. Once heated through, serve immediately.

1726360608186.png

Back