Mesquite & Pecan for BRITU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albert Sanchez

TVWBB Super Fan
Esteemed Colleagues,

Just some cooking notes to add to your encyclopedic knowledge of the BBQ arts /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif ...

My third cook on my new WSM inlcuded Baby-Back Ribs (again) and 2 chickens (again).

For wood this time, I tried 3 chunks of mesquite, and 3 chunks of pecan. All chunks were fist size or smaller (most were smaller).

The meat was delicious of course, but overall I percieved a much smokier taste than previous cooks where half the wood I used was oak and half apple.

Not sure which of the woods - mesquite or pecan contributed most to the very smokey flavor. Cooking time was 5 hours at 250 degrees average lid temp - using a 2-2-1 cooking method.

Think, I'll go back to the oak and apple wood combo.

-Albert

Hi Albert! Sounds like you had a very successful Q, congrats! The mesquite is what most likely accounted for the smokier flavor as it is a robust burn. I will be useing some this weekend on a brisket for the first time. My usual wood of choice is apple with a little hickory.

Chach

Mesquite is stronger than either oak or apple and pecan is close to hickory in strenght. That is a strong combo.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back