Mesquite lump from Walmart?

Paul K

TVWBB Guru
Anyone have any experience with "mesquite the iron charcoal" sold at Wal Mart? They're selling it right now for $2.96 for 8 lb bag. One of the few places carry lump around here. I picked up a bag today and will try it out tomorrow on a brisket. Haven't opened it up to see what the lumps look like. Will let you know.

Is that the "Brand" name? If so, I don't know about it, if it has a differnet name, check out the NakedWhiz. Our walmarts out here cary Royal Oak lump which I find quite good, last summer they were carrying B&B Oak, which I thought was excellent. To bput a period on my ramble "lump" is all I use!

Mesquite is the brand name; has a trademark after the word. Checked out nakedwhiz when I got home and didn't find a review. The full 8 lb bag filled about 4/5 of the ring. I'm not very impressed at this point. I'm going with the high temp (335ish)method brisket and I've had to do a lot of stirring to keep the temps up. No water in pan of course. The lump has a lot of smaller pieces which I think burned faster and added excessive ash which may have choked back the fewer larger pieces. Don't think I'll need to add any Kingsford at this point, but this stuff seems a bit labor intensive.

Back