Mesquite contamination question

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have heard from several that the use of mesquite in their smokers have left them so contaminated with the strong odor of it that they required a major scrub down before being able to use other, lighter woods. I have very little experience with mesquite, therefore, no first-hand knowledge. What has been your experience? Any problem with following up mesquite cooks with lighter woods?

Morning Ray!

I have used Mesquite and have no problems with it contaminating the pit.

Jim is correct. Mesquite must be fully dried before using.

Thanks, Jim and Kevin, for this information. As I said, I have used very little Mesquite, other than Mesquite lump charcoal, and was not sure. I don't cook brisket very often and have always used Hickory for it, too. Next time, I think I'll give Mesquite a try. Thanks, again!

Ray,

Mesquite, love the stuff! I think I might be in the minority though, based on what I read on this board and others. Some folks think its flavor is too strong. I use it whenever I visit my mother, who lives in Baja California. She's got a couple of mesquite trees next to her house. One of them's got a bunch of dead branches on it, so I just break or saw off what I need and into the smoker it goes. It's great for beef, of course, but I even use it with pork.

I have used Lazzari mesquite charcoal for many years in wsm's, grills, and other enclosed cookers for extended cooks (two hogs in two days) and have never had a problem with build up inside the pit. I use around a pallet of mesquite a year (Lazzari is a sponsor). Green mesquite wood that wasn't burned properly is what they were likely refering to.
Frank

Please correct me if I'm wrong, as I have wondered about the mesquite thing, myself.

Is it just the mesquite "Wood" that is of concern, or do you also have to exercise caution with Mesquite Charcoal? I would think that you could go heavy with Mesquite Charcoal, since it is neither green nor wood. I have used Mesquite Lump and not even really noticed any Mesquite particular smell.

Walt
I use mesquite lump for grilling but not for low and slow but I know of others that do. It's a matter of personel taste with lump.
Jim

Just to clarify, I have and do use Mesquite lump charcoal and have never had a problem with it. In fact, I like it very much. My question has to do with seasoned Mesquite wood being used for smoking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back