mesquite and pork butt

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

G

This weekend or next I want to smoke a 5lb brisket and a 8lb butt. I was wondering If mesquite would complment the pork. or would it be too strong.
I have found hickory to be way to strong of a flavor. I just dont think that apple would be good for brisket.

Hi Brian, Personally I like mesquite but if the hickory taste is to strong for your liking I definately wouldn't go the mesquite route.

Clark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Weatherly:
I just dont think that apple would be good for brisket. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I can tell you that I have smoked many Butts and Briskets over just Apple and just Cherry smoke wood, and will do so again.
icon_wink.gif
I think Pecan is the best for brisket but apple or cherry is just fine. Cook it up, no worries.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I like mesquite myself and have had luck using it with some of the pork butts I have cooked. Mesquite gives meat a strong smoke flavor so when I want it be less intense, I combine it with oak usually in the ratio of 2 parts oak to 1 part mesquite.

Latly for butts i seem to have a love affair with cherry and oak.... When it comes to brisket I really like oak and mesquite.

I guess if I was smokin both up at the same time I'd go with oak. cherry. and a bit a mesquite...

icon_wink.gif

Be mindful of how much wood you place in the WSM and that your vents are properly set. ANY inefficiently burning and/or execessive wood will leave an unpleasant taste.

Personally, I've used mesquite with no problems and will do so again. BUT if you can get fruit wood, go for it!!!

Back