Meeting the spousal challenge

As I've mentioned before, my wife like ribs that are falling off the bone [FOTB]. Me, I like to use my teeth. She has a recipe that ends up with what I good-naturedly call "rib soup." I have been given an opportunity to present ribs she will really like, tomorrow eve.

I have four racks cut into 8 pieces. I am doing four pieces using the 3-2-1 competition method, and four using a 2-3-1 get 'em extra soft method.

I will report the results Monday night or Tuesday.

Cheers,
Michael

You can't really talk meaningfully about foil time on ribs without also including type of rib and, more importantly, cooking temperature. Without foil, at a grate temp of 250°, loinbacks can reach tenderness in about 4½ to 5 hours; spares in 6 to 6½. Add foil to the equation-- still at 250°-- and spares can be falling-off-the-bone tender in 4½ hours: 3 out of foil, 45 minutes in foil, 45 minutes back out to finish.

If you review Stogie's method, you may be surprised to see 2½ hours in foil on loinbacks, but this is at a strict 225° grate temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug D:... at a grate temp of 250°, ... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Observe the word "grate", above. It does not equate to 250 through a vent hole in the lid. Many, including me, measure pit temp that way. Thus, a lid temp of 265 to 270 might well be a top grate temp of 250. I try to hold around 250 lid and therefore my top grate temp is around 230 to 235.. My spare don't FOTB after 45 minutes in foil.

Paul

This is extremely helpful, and i'm glad I posted when I did. I'll cut back my expectation of the cooking time for the backs. Maye experimenting with a 2-1-1 and a 1-2-1 might be best. I need to get one batch FOTB, and it sounds like the 1-2-1 would be very FOTB!

Hmmm, just looked at Stogie's post, and it's really interesting. But, now I'm unsure as to the timing, Stogie uses the full 6 hours for backs, but, Doug, you seem to think that's too long.

I like to cook at 250°; Stogie at 225°. I've used his method exactly as posted and it works.

You won't be rendering much fat, nor getting a good coloration with only 1 or 2 hours up front. I would recommend 3 hours to start, at whatever temp for either for spares or loinbacks, then go about adjusting the foil time to achieve the level of tenderness you desire.

Back