medium and moderate

DW Frommer II

TVWBB Fan
I am planning of cooking two 6 lb. bone-in pork shoulder blade roasts at about 300° next week. I am going to go with a foiled waterpan--no water-- and am wondering if the grate on my wsm will be large enough to cook both on the top grate?

I know a few folks have cooked butts and so forth "high and fast" (the "Mixon Method?")...anyone have any idea of how long it will take at 300°? I plan on injecting an apple juice based liquid and foiling at 165°, wrapping and resting at 195°. Hickory pellets for flavor?

Any advice will be appreciated this will be my first "fast" butt.

2 6lbers will fit on the top rack with no problems (don't put in the bottom grate...no sense cleaning something that isn't used!).

I've never done a complete high temp cook. I have finished butts off in the 275-300 range before with pretty good results.

Please post your results.

Joe,

I've read quite a bit about this--feller by the name of Myron Mixon (if memory serves) uses it in competition on briskets. I've read posts of folks doing it with butts, chuck roasts, briskets and even ribs...all with moist, tender results.

Of course reading these posts and actually doing it is another thing. And sacrificing, not one but two roasts for an experiment is taking a pretty big gamble--or it would be if I hadn't picked up these roasts at 99¢ a pound. I just don't have time to do an 18 hour cook...and besides I'm too old to miss that much sleep.
icon_cool.gif

Back