Meatloaf on Parchment Paper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn W

TVWBB Emerald Member
I did two more 5lb meatloaves on parchment paper trimmed to fit on Saturday. 'Southwest' with fresh guacamole and fresh salsa, fresh veggies, sour cream and tortilla chips. I love this meal. Dinner pic from previous cook.

First cook with it the paper wasn't trimmed and when I tilted the rack to take it out after the cook grease ran off and down the side making a mess and causing quite a flare up. Oops.

This is my third ML cook using parchment paper. I like using it for ML rather than sitting it in a pan, the grease mostly drains and the paper prevents the ML from becoming wedged in or sticking to the grate.

Here is the thing I really find curious: every meatloaf (except for the one on the bottom grate during the empty water pan cook) has had a nice uniform smoke ring across the bottom. Bottom smoke ring pic from previous cook

The bottom? It's sitting on parchment paper. How can it get bottom smoke ring? I really didn't expect that but the smoke seems to penetrate.

I plan to try parchment paper with other things I put directly on the grate that stick, particularly for appetizer style salmon. Salmon skin has stuck quite badly on me a couple of times.

Shawn,
That does seem surprising at first. However, if you think about it,
1. paper is really porous,
2. the smoke ring is a result of a chemical reaction. The grease that is dripping thru the paper has the contents (as I understand it) that reacts with the smoke which causes the smoke ring as a result of the chemical reaction.

While the paper is acting as a barrier, it really isn't much of one.

Finally, I'll have to try using parchment paper the next time I smoke a meatloaf. I've only smoked a meatloaf once (in a pan), but, it sure was delicious! Who'd a thunk it?

Shawn. The parchment paper idea is a very interesting concept. I smoke meatloaf probably more than anything (cheap) but I do so in a bread lined pan. Soaks up grease well but I believe that there is always a better way. Sometime this week I am going to give it a go. Thanks for the idea.
DP

I've done 2 meatloafs so I'm no expert. But when I did them, I started with them in a cheap foil throw away pan. After 1/2 - 3/4 hour, I dumped them out of the pan right on the grate and finished them like that. They had a uniform smoke ring when they finished.

Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back