Meatloaf - observations and ideas

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I did a meatloaf last night. Used the recipe here with some changes I gleaned from many different recipes.

Changes:
- pulled it at 158F internal
- to raw meat mix added cayenne, chili sauce, dijon mustard, chopped onion, worcestershire (in amounts appropriate to recipe)
- was some water in the pan since I did the meatloaf after a batch of ribs
- to glaze added cumin, paprika, chili sauce, cayenne, Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce (all in smallish amounts)
- used 1 measure less of brown sugar in glaze

Observations:
It was extremely good. Amazingly so in fact. After I removed it at 158F I left the probe in and saw that temperature continued to climb for a few minutes, topping out at maybe 165F. Alton Brown advocates removing the meatloaf at 155F and that seems about right. It was late at night so I lazily threw away the drippings which would have made a good gravy.

Stuff to change next time:
- slice onion into very thin strips instead of dicing
- tad less cayenne in glaze
- put more paprika in glaze
- put glaze on at 20-30 minutes after start of cooking to achieve a bit more carmelization (I glazed at 40 minutes)
- save drippings and make a gravy
- bit less sugar in the glaze, maybe 1 measure less
- use some fresh garlic in the raw meat mixture
- stop cooking at 155F internal
- reduce breadcrumbs a bit and make up difference with coarsely chopped croutons
- try to make a pedestal for the meatloaf on platter while cooking so it doesn't stew in it's own grease drippings

Oh, and don't let wife buy the meat - she paid $4.79/lb for the ground chuck?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back