Meatloaf and Maintaining High Temp

Joel Kiess

TVWBB All-Star
I did 2 loaves using Chris's recipe yesterday. Originally planned to do 1 plus a chicken as long as the WSM was smoking, but at the last my wife asked me to do a second to share. Sure says I.

So I put both of the loaves on top - a tight squeeze on the foil pizza pan. I used some foil under the pan and folded upwards to increase grease catching capacity. That turned out to be a good idea. I put a butterflied chicken below.

Fired up with two lit chimneys, which got the temp up plenty high quickly - over 350. No water in the pan, just foil to cover. It had been pretty windy early, but as I got all this going, the wind died off. I actually was thinking the wind might be an asset for the higher tempurature cook.

Once all the meat was in the WSM, I actually had trouble keeping the temperature up to and above 300. Two three pound loaves plus a 5 pound plus bird can suck up some heat.

I propped the door open and that helped. It ended up taking longer than expected. All went well in the end. The meatloaf was great, I sliced it up a vac sealed portions for later use and to share. The chicken is tonight's dinner - well half anyway!

I noticed M Menendez's experience here 325-350 No Way ; he had a similar struggle with temps.

I would try dumping 20 unlit coals on top of those lit coals. It ensures longer time at the higher temps.

I've found that at high temps different batches of charcoal seem to burn up much more quickly than others. this is particularly true in the wind.

adding some unlit coals allows you to sustain higher temps longer...

After removing 3 butts on Saturday, I had some good coals left. I added little more than 1/2 chimney Kingsford on the top. Place aluminum foil pouch with Apple pellets. Temps stayed at 340 to 360 with vents at 50% - Pan w/o H20. Outside temps at 58 light wind. Took about 1 hour and 35 minutes to bake a fantastic meatloaf! I think adding the coals unlit, allowed about 20 minutes to get started made the difference. I agree with adding the unlit coals on top. It worked for me Saturday. Good luck!!

Back