Meat Tenderizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Willis

TVWBB Member
OK, this may get me kicked off the board, but has anyone ever used meat tenderizer (the white stuff that looks like salt)?

I think I've always has some in the pantry, but never opened it nor used it. Now that I'm doing real Q, was wondering if it's off limits or if it can actually do some good.

...be gentle :-)

That would pretty much be the antithesis of barbecue, which, as we know, is the practice of cooking:

* typically (but not limited to) less-than-tender cuts of meat,
* at low temperatures, between 212 and 250 degrees Fahrenheit,
* for long cooking times, usually four or more hours,
* preferably over a charcoal, or wood coal fired, indirect heat source,
* typically including the additional burning of smoke woods to impart certain desired flavor characteristics,
* the end result being tender and flavorful in a way not possible using higher temperatures and shorter cooking times.

What's in your pantry is likely Adolph's or something similar, which contains papain, a proteolytic enzyme derived from papaya. It also likely contains MSG. "Proteolytic" means, literally, "breaks down protein", which means it will also work favorably on a variety of snake venoms. Enzymes found in pineapple have a similar effect, and are the reason Jello recipes specify not to add the fresh or frozen fruit to unset gelatin.

To answer your question: I think if you added it to your rub, much of what you barbecued would be unacceptably mushy.

David....

Here is how I use that stuff.....

I use it on preparing strip loin steaks. These steaks can be very uneven in the tenderness area...even if graded choice. So, cover with olive oil, then sprinkle meat tenderizer and finally some garlic powder. Then, add a bit more oil and seal with my FoodSaver and let sit in the fridge for 4 days. Guaranteed tender meat! NOT mushy at all. Now, I use ONLY the all natural Adolph's in the Blue bottle.

I have also used it on pork chops to great effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back