Meat sticking to grates

Jeff S

TVWBB Pro
When I cook meat on long smokes, mainly butts, part of the meat sticks to the grates when I take it off. Now, I am the type that does not turn the meat. I do oil the grates down before putting the meat on. Last time I went to take my butts off, they completely tore apart. It was still OK, of course, but it will be a different issue when I do turkey over the holidays. I don't want to rip the back off the bird when I go to take it off the smoker.
Any tips from all of you vats of wisdom??? Thanks in advance!
Jeff

Move your meat around about 1/2 way thu the cook. It won't stick. Or foil your meat (oh no! the F word!)

For turkey I usually use a rack that I've sprayed with Pam. I place the turkey, in rack, in an aluminum foil pan to catch the drippings. I've never had a turkey stick in over a dozen cooks.

I have the same issue on overnighters and feel t is probably unavoidable on long, unattended cooks. I have a very flexible spatula that will bend and i carefully work it under the stuck butt to slowly free it up. Then you can remove it with a minimum loss of meat.

paul

I was wondering about putting the Turkey in a pan. That sounds like the best idea. I can't wait to get the Turkey forum opened back up. This is going to be a whole new ball game for me. I will need all kinds of ideas.

When I cook butts I cut parchment paper just a bit larger than the size of each butt; I never turn the meat over and never have a problem with it sticking. I do remove the parchment before resting the meat and I‘m careful when removing it as the butts have a tendency to tear when the meat is so tender.
Also, I have found this way to be helpful with other meats.

Val

Back