Meat Slicer

When I got my slicer about 10 years ago, although it was in very nice condition it was also dirty from being in storage, so I completely disassembled the entire machine for cleaning. I don't recall anything tricky about the procedure at all. There is a worm gear drive between the motor and the blade arbor which I simply cleaned of old dried grease and packed with new. From memory I used either Lubriplate SFL#2 or Mobil 1 synthetic grease. I really do not think it is critical and don't think there is any chance of the gearbox grease escaping and getting on your food, but if this worries you then for sure use the SFL or other suitable food grade grease. There are many available. I may have also replaced the motor bearings as a matter of principal, but I really can't remember. There is also a plug under the cover where you store the blade sharpener that can be opened to add grease. The manual says to add about a teaspoon of fresh grease per year. On Hobart's service website there is available for free download a .pdf manual and parts list for this slicer that may be of help. It is posted under the discontinued products list.

Tim

One thing I should add is to make sure you remove all the old grease before you pack it with new. Different greases use different thickeners, some of which are decidedly not compatible. I don't know for sure what kind of grease was in the gearbox of my slicer, but I do know that Hobart used to spec Shell Darina 2 for the gearbox of my N50 mixer and from memory what I cleaned out seemed similar. Darina is a bentonite thickened grease. They now spec Chevron FM ALC EP2 for the N50 mixer transmission which is an aluminum complex grease. None of this is particularly important except for one point, and that is to not mix two different greases if you are unsure that they are compatible.

Thanks for the great info Tim! looks like I asked the right person.

I just scored some free Lubriplate fgl-2 when I purchased a meat grinder. maybe some day soon I'll find the manual online and get greasing.

totally missed this! I just ordered one of these exact ones. Truth is my girl did, I had her do it all, even choose it. Her whole life shes manages to find the best deals, prices, etc. ....maybe by luck, maybe not. ...oh ya and I don't hardly know how to run this darn thing! anyway thats the one she said sounded most promising after "reviewing" and researching it for hours,
icon_smile.gif
Glad to see it posted about. I'll let you know what I think as well.

So back to this Chef's Choice 610...does anyone have experience with it and buckboard bacon? Will it be able to handle slicing 4 butts in one session, or is that too much of a load for it?

have recieved it and sliced two whole sides of reg. belly bacon. at first i was surprised how slowly the blade seemed to move (i have no previous experience w/ slicers, I just seen the meat markets, etc. use the big ones). Well I was imidiatly thinking it was a wal mart, little.. thing.. type. Well I don't anymore. It ate that bacon and that blade it comes w/ is sharper then hell. I wouldn't hesitate for a second to run a pork butt through it or anything else. Im getting ready to try to package some meat made from tri-tip one of these days soon, if you wish I can let you know how that goes, but Im certainly sure it wont even be worth your time. I already know it will handle it. If you've been around these and know more about these then me, then you MAY not be as impressed, but I am extremely happy about it and will be ordering diff. blades if possible for different things, and ordering some lubricant, etc. I plan on using this to pieces! so anyway... I love it so far and I really think you would too. I was reading on amazon the "negative" reports and read a couple times that it would overheat. well... im not real sure what they were slicing but... I was running bacon through it and it pulls the meat in faster then I push. pretty sweet if you ask me. carefull not to cut yourself on the blade when cleaning it... and my model's blade mounting screw was different then the books, and I use a quarter to remove it... EASY to clean... real easy. hope this helps, maybe someone else will report on it too. I bought mine before I actually seen this post on the EXACT one. any other questions yo0u'd like to ask, and I could go dig it out and let you know any detail you like as well, hell if you want me too i'll try to slice anything you want me to through it i don't mind at all, i'de always wanted to be a bit more helpfull to folks on this site. let me know Todd. biggest thing to ME was ...its 100 bucks (at the time 95, but same same).. for what I paid, i think i win.

*just noticed the price is a bit higher now...

Dang it Toby!

You and all the other posters to this thread just cost me another 100 bucks.

icon_wink.gif
icon_wink.gif

Just ordered one from Amazon (using Chris' link, of course.)

JimT

Dan,
Thanks for the information, that is exactly what I wanted to hear! Think I'll get one ordered soon.
Thanks again!
Todd

i burnt up my dani meat slicer this afternoon slicing up some beef jerky
icon_frown.gif
i guess it the beef was a little too
frozen for the motor
icon_frown.gif
i may have to give this one a try

well i don't have butts to slice right now but eventually I may, I wouldn't want to dissapoint you but let me know. I don't think you'll regret it though, darn sure. I'll be doing tri-tip tonight by the way. but thats no big deal, its not the size of pork butt.

Back