Meat slicer recommendations?

Tom L

TVWBB Fan
I have read all the posts on the subject and I am leaning towards a chef's choice model. I am going to use it probably 6 times a time for pit beef whichs needs to be very thin in order to not be too tough. Any first hand experience since those posts?
Thanks,
Tom

I need a meat slicer before I make my next batch of jerky. My brother has one that is good for cutting up softer stuff like cheese and poultry breast. It's not very heavy or powerfull, and it slid all over the place when I tried to slice up a raw top round. A definite hell no in the safety department. PITA to clean too, most of it needed a good soak in hot soapy water, then a light scrub to get off the stickier bits. The one I want is about 325 bones... and I would use it for much more than making jerky. There is a chef's chice model w/ a variable tilt for $299, and that still has lots of plastic in it. For an extra 25 bones or so plus shipping I think the extra weight would be worth it. YMMV.

http://www.amazon.com/Commerci...d=1313326612&sr=8-12

I have a household waring pro model, the $100 one, and it's decent for most things I need it for. It's a little small for pastrami and bacon sometimes but generally works great.

Check Craigs list and E-Bay for a used commercial slicer. I bought a Berkel 12" model a couple of years ago for $100, can slice anything I want at any thickness. Beats the *&%* out of those $100 to $200 toys.

I shopped around for a decent used slicer and found this Globe model for $40. Heavy duty (for my purposes) and does a great job.

Paul

Several years back, I worked some Saturdays as a runner for an auctioneer friend of mine. (most fun I ever had!!) I also was looking for a meet slicer so I could slice my venison into jerky. I happend across a metal meat slicer in a box lot twords the end of the auction, and picked the entire box up for $5.00!!
icon_biggrin.gif
Can't think of the brand right off hand, and it it at a friends house slicing some jerky as we speak! After several seasons and many pounds of jerky, she still hums right along, andd cleans up real nice! So if anybody is still looking for a slicer, try some local auctions, the "steals" are harder and harder to come by, but there are still some out there.
Tim

Back