May have lost some of my Simple Green and steel wool swagger...

JimV

TVWBB All-Star
Well at this point I have polished many a hood. The Simple Green with the 0000 steel wool is simple and very effective. I always follow that routine with Mr Clean ...Clean Freak spray and a micro fiber towel and buff to an awesome shine. BUT!!!! First I should say.....I now hate spirit 210's...frickin rust monsters. Anyway my last 3 hoods were 2 Spirit 210's and one Genesis Copper 310. The two 210's cleaned right up but to my surprise both hoods were cloudy :( I was starting to think I created the cloud......but I seriously doubt it.....but from now on I will wipe clean a hood before buying a grill....just a little bit of dust will hide a cloudy hood. Well I just picked up the 310 copper and tonight I introduced myself to it like a horse whisperer. I approached it with some 0000 steel wool and some lemon scent Simple Green and she settled right down.......but after some light scrubbing the hood doesnt seem like its going to come back. I am now tentative to scrub harder and really go for it because I could dull what finish there is left. I dont feel confident that any rubbing compound will bring it back either.

ok so here is my question if you are still here

Are the copper finishes a little suspect to the heat....and maybe I am best to just clean it a bit and leave it alone? Or have u guys dug your heels in and conquered a copper? I guess I could use the dawn stuff we discussed the other day....or oven cleaner??? yikes......but I prefer the steel wool game.

I dont have a lot of experience with the E3xx hoods with the liners, but I haven't seen any with the "Weber Fade". Not even black ones. I have and off gray one in my driveway looking for attention, but I haven't touched it yet. It would be pretty hard to damage the lids with #0000 steel wool and Simple Green. I use the house hold stainless steel wool on the insides and it doesn't seem to bother them.
\
Besides, don't the E3xx grills all have the liner in them?. I would think that would go a long ways towards protecting lids from the fade and heat related damage.

I would maybe try a different brand of steel wool and make sure it is #0000 and see if that helps at all, but yah, I guess I would continue to try to clean it up.

Yep its 0000.......I often grab a more coarse steel wool to do my first cut....I just dont scrub real hard....then I follow with 0000. Usually the steel wool cuts right through whatever is on the hood pretty quickly...the only tough area is usually the back of the hood. This particular Copper gal has lived a clean life and was under cover. I would love to get that hood looking like new....hmmmmmm
I offered it to a buyer that was looking at another one of my listings for $275.......my other listing was the same price so since I got the 310 for a steal I thought for a quick turn around I would take $275........Now for $275 it will get a nice wipe down and some what of a college try on the hood....but its gunna take $325 for me to go to town on this bad boy. I am calling the buyers bluff on Friday....He is going to stop by and take a look...if he says something about the hood then I will know what needs to be done.....if he says nothing then he will have an awesome grill with some baked on funk in the finish of his copper.
Well....thats enough grill chatter for tonight.........good night!

Back