Maximum Butt

Hi,
I'm doing some [very] advanced palnning for a school benefit I may decide to help out with. So, here's the questions.
1. How many poinds of butt can I get into a WSM, tied of course.
2. How many sandwiches, not humungus, will I get from a poind of butt?

Thanks,
Michael

you should be able to fit at least 4 decent size butts on the WSM.

A general rule of thumb is that you'll get about half the uncooked weight from a cooked butt. (10lb butt = 5lbs cooked)

as far as sandwiches, alot of people here say 4oz of meat if having other sides and food. I like 5-6oz sammy's myself. I don't consider that a HUGE sandwich, but i'm also not a small guy
icon_wink.gif

Kev

Mike, I've done five butts. Could possibly do six. It required some rib racks that were adapted by taking out the middle rungs. The cook is a little different than normal as it takes longer to get the WSM up to temp once the meat is on due to the total mass. Using these racks I could conceivably do almost sixty pounds of meat.

I just did 4 for everyone at work just this week. BJ's 2 per pack, both packs were just about 15 lbs. each. 2 butts fed about 30 people with some going back for seconds. I had one full butt left over. I used these big foil pans, one for each butt I pulled.

Everyone was raving about the pulled pork. I put them on at home at 5:30 p.m., bumped the temps up to around 280-300 overnight, and they were beyond done at 7:00 a.m. I wrapped them in foil and pulled them at 11:15. They were perfect. I didn't even do anything to them once they were in the WSM besides spraying with some pineapple/apple juice at 6:00 a.m.

You can get 3 on each rack if you stand them up on edge and form a triangle wit them.I have put 4 on each rack three standing on edge in a triangle and one ontop on each rack.I would suggest you do not use water in the pan,you dont need it with that much meat in there it will hold the heat and stabilize the temps for you.

hope this helps

I've actually done three to a rack before. They were small-ish butts - 6 pounds or so. It required it to stand on its end. But they were very rectangular butts, so it was possible. they shrink when they are on it anyhow, so after a while, you'll have more room.

it isn't optimal, but its possible.

Back