MAx temp on the WSM

SCOTT DOWNS

Using the Minon method I have noticed that the temp never seems to go above 250. Is this a common result from the rest of you.

I was trying to smoke some whole chicken and noticed I could never reach 275.

Last weekend I had a brisket that I had to foil because I ran out of time. Instead of putting it in the oven, I just opened all the vents. I hit right around 300 but never higher. This was with a Brinkman pan full of water.

The lower temp control is one of the things that nice about Jim's "Minion Method". If I'm doing chicken, I'll usually fire up a chimney of charcoal and at least half a chimney of lump, ala Turbo-Chicken style. The pictures are gone, but my description is posted there.

Keri C

If you were using the MM for a while and then tried to obtain a higher temp you may have had the coals smothered in ash, which would prevent the rise in temperature. Shake or stir the coals and the temps should rise. If that does not work see Dan's response; definitely you'll see a temperature rise.

Last weekend I cooked two whole Purdue "Oven Stuffers" which weighed about 14 lbs. total. I brined them for four hours, and added some "Montreal Chicken Seasoning" just before placing them on the smoker.

I fired the WSM using new Kingsford and the standard method with one chimney lit covered with one chimney unlit untill both were ashed. The water pan was empty and foiled to catch the drippings. All vents 100% open. I used two chunks cherry and one apple.

I assembled the cooker and placed one chicken on each grate. Temps ran between 325 and 350 for the duration of the cook. I hoped the top one would be done a little before the bottom as my wife was taking it over to friends for their dinner and needed time to return home. It worked out great.

Chicken turned out excellent. Very moist with just the right amount of smoke flavor. Even the skin was good.

I might even have some of the last leftovers for lunch.
icon_smile.gif

Jim

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SCOTT DOWNS:
Sounds pretty good Jim. I might try that. How long did the chicken cook for? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The temperature of the smoker is about the same as if you were cooking in your oven so the length of the cook is about the same. These chickens took around 2.5 hours to be done. I did take them to about 170 and everything was still quite moist.

Jim

I have no problems reaching temps in excess of 400 degrees. I have done it by mistake several times. I think I may be using a bit too much charcoal on these occassions. Typically I will start out but using the minion method, I toss about a half chimeny on top of the unlit coals, sometimes the lid stays off for a bit before I get the meat on. That allows for more coals to get lit. Typically I will have to close all vents and choke it off until I get the temp in control. So if you start a hot fire and gave it enough air, I would imagine these type of temps would be easily maintained.

It all depends on the amount of charcoal or lump. I have filled the ring and added a chimney of coals or lump and have had a hard time keeping below 300 degrees. I would try cutting back on the fuel and see how it goes.

JP

Back