Maverick ET-75 Rotisserie remote thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.
UPS delivered my ET-75 yesterday and I looked at it today. I have a 22.5 OTG with the Weber rotisserie and both sizes of EZ-QUE cradles. Without actually using it, I determined that you can't use the standard Weber spit rod because you have to mount the transmitter on the end of the spit handle...therefore you can't mount the counter weight.
I then took out the small EZ-QUE cradle and found out that you have to set up the entire cradle assembly before adding coals. That is because the small collar that you need in order to secure the probe wire is too large for the opening on the rotisserie collar that fits atop the grill. You have to set up the collar and the wire and then attach the cradle to the handle end of the spit. Then, you have to turn the entire assembly at an angle so that you can slide the spit onto the rotisserie collar. You can't attach the portion of the spit rod that connects to the motor until you have done the above. Sooo....the entire EZ-QUE assembly has to be done before you add the food and the coals. Doable certainly, but it's not the optimum situation. I'm still debating whether to just send it back for a refund.

i've been looking at this problem while figuring out how to do a setup for myself using the remotes that i have already. i figured that i have to make a little bracket with a nut or threads made into the bracket so that it will replace the end piece on the weber rod so i can still use the weight. no biggy. i figured out the ez que one but can't remember right now. i'll mention it when i remember.

ok, some backing up first. not sure what the collar size is that comes with the et 75. the collar that i have hase a 7/16 hole with a 9/16 cutout part that would ride on the barrel cutout. this fits perfectly on the weber unit cuz the cutout is a bit bigger than 1/2 in. as i mentioned, a little bracket would have to be made that had threads that would take the place of the weber rod end. so no big deal there. is yer collar bigger than the cutout on the weber ? as to the ez que setup, i went outside to my 6 in unit to take another look. i bought the craddle to use on my weber but i knew it was to long, 21.5 in or so. i planned to cut it down but then realized it was a perfect fit for my char griller so thats were its going. anyhooo, i took a look and my idea to take off the handle has hit a snag. the handle seems to be a rather permanant fixture so not sure it could be taken off without destroying it. i think i'll pass on that. so yep, not sure what to do there. i'll have to sleep on it but i'm sure there is a way. kinda is a sad situation cuz you'd think it would work in most situations.

George,

The collar is 3/4" which is larger than the cutout on the Weber. The cutout part on the thumbscrew collar will fit but only if you turn it so that it will slide over the cutout on the Weber. That is made necessary because of the lip on the top of the rotisserie collar. Ah, if only the thumbscrew was a tad smaller....

i would go to one of the grill parts supply places and order one of the smaller collars. my wires will just fit when the smaller collar is fitted on the weber rod. i do plan to just file down a bit more clearance. won't take much at all. i'm actually using the collar off of a sunbeam rotis kit that i bought for my gasser that i no longer use. i'll be using kit for other setups though. maybe a rig setup for my sjp. that would be fun. also i think it would be perfect for a setup on a wsm when i get one such as seen here on the list.

Originally posted by r benash:
I'll take a look at mine tomorrow as promised above.

A little late, but looks like no one else followed with picks.

I attempted to use the ET75 on my EZ-Q during a mixed WSM/Performer cook (seperate post, see Multi Cook on the BBQ forum).

NG! There is a set of collars that come with the ET75, but neither would work on the EZ-Q. One was too small to fit the spit rod and the other too big in terms of fitting the cut outs on the EZ-Q.

So I'll have to check with EZ-Q or Maverick to see if they are selling a set of collars that will fit the EZ-Q cutouts.

Here's some photos for those that are looking to modify or make their own system

First one is the kit as shipped:

ET 75 Kit

The second is the back side of the transmitter and included with the clamp that comes with the unit:

Transmitter and Clamp

Curious to know if anyone has used theres on an EZ-Q

Other than Dan's solution upthread, wondering if anyone else has found a more convenient way to use the ET75 with their EZ Que?

Took another look today and at the method Dan mentioned. Looks like this set up should work just fine with the small collar. I am going to simply file down the top edges of the EZ-Que ring on the handle side to form a "V" at the top lip of the slot. This way you should be able to drop the assembly in as normal, just have the collar and probe pre-threaded. I.E., this would eliminate the need to have everything pre assembled and in place before placing food or coals.

Right now you have to angle the small collar and sort of snap it into the slot. This is what makes it necessary to have everything assembled as Dan mentioned. Otherwise there seems to be enough clearance inside the small collar to adjust the cable (slide it to adjust length inside the cooker). Of course you will still need to pre-thread the probe through the collar as in the instructions, but that's not a big deal. The actual problem is that the small collar would slide into the slot of the EZ-Que easily if not for the formed lip at the top of the ring, this lip is just enough to hit the outside diameter of the collar and not let it slide straight down.

I'll post with progress, but looks to be a pretty simple mod. Shouldn't take but a bit of filing.

Hopefully this will work just fine and I'll trial it with a turkey breast that's been in the freezer
icon_razz.gif

EDIT TO UPDATE ON SOLUTION: - problem solved! Took me maybe 10 minutes with a metal file. You just need to file down the top lip/edge above the slot (NOT the slot itself, it's fine). I completed a dry run.

After the mod you simply follow the instructions that come with the 75. Don't tighten the thumb screw on that collar until you "dry fit" everything so that the collar is in the right position, then tighten. After that you can remove the basket as usual. No need to totally assemble the EZ-Que, the collar will now slide straight down into the slot without any problem.

Hmm, now let's see - what shall I brine that turkey breast in.....

Have fun!

EDIT TO ADD PICS

Here's a couple shots of the motor side to show the top lip before mod:

Standard Lip 1

Standard Lip 2

Here's the appearance of the filed lip with the collar in place for visual. I filed the lip only, there is no need to change the slot itself.

Modified 1

Modified 2

And finally, as originally promised - pics of ET-75 in use:

Assembled With Turkey Breast

With Lid Closed

Closeup Showing Wire Routing

Note that I did not need to use the clips provided with the ET-75. The clamps of the EZ-Que worked great for this!!

Receiver

BTW - the brined turkey breast came out great. The ET-75 works fantastic. I used Royal Oak briquettes this time, about 3/4 Weber Chimney full. I have the vent control marked on the Performer which helped control temps more accurately. I was able to maintain temps pretty much at 350 deg start to finish. There was a bump to 400 when I first started, but I was able to bring that down pretty quickly.

I used a citrus/brown sugar/salt brine with some aromatics. Rubbed with my recipe that I use on ribs. After the breast hit 120 or so I tented with foil to finish after brushing with EVOO/Butter. Used cherry wood for the smoke which gave a nice red tint and good flavor.

Here's a pick of the hash marks on the vent control, very helpful instead of guessing:

Vent Marks on Performer

i think you need to reroute the wire. exposing it to direct heat like that might shorten its life. maybe wrap the excess around the handle.

Originally posted by george curtis:
i think you need to reroute the wire. exposing it to direct heat like that might shorten its life. maybe wrap the excess around the handle.

I think this probe/wire is designed to take the direct heat (not flame) since they provide clips for routing inside the kettle. It has a tougher hide on the outside that is very different than what comes with their other products. It has an additional white coating that the other probes don't have.

I saw no damage or even discoloration from the 2 Hr cook at 350deg. Directions just tell you to arrange in a way that there is no contact with direct flame, which I never have had in a rotie cook in the kettle.

Excellent point though, I might give them a call just to verify the rating of the probe insulation.

I think this probe/wire is designed to take the direct heat (not flame) since they provide clips for routing inside the kettle. It has a tougher hide on the outside that is very different than what comes with their other products. It has an additional white coating that the other probes don't have.

I saw no damage or even discoloration from the 2 Hr cook at 350deg. Directions just tell you to arrange in a way that there is no contact with direct flame, which I never have had in a rotie cook in the kettle.

Excellent point though, I might give them a call just to verify the rating of the probe insulation.

Got a response from Maverick today. Of course the probe wire is not intended for contact with direct flame - but:

"The probe wire is good to 482° F so as long as you are staying under that temperature you'll be fine."

I don't think I have ever gone beyond a spike of 500 deg during a rotie cook, but be aware and keep temps under control. Otherwise you'll need to cover or protect the wire with foil or other methods.

Right now I have an 8lb roaster on, and am loving the convenience of the ET75 AND I like being able to use the clamps of the EZQ to rout the wire inside the kettle instead of using the clips provided in the Maverick kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back