Maverick at HD

Frank H

TVWBB Gold Member
Has anyone bought one of these units? If so , Any thoughts?

I saw this today at HD for Around 20 bucks

I dunno Frank, when I see that "taste" button and "pre-programmed" that reminds me of my old Weber thermo, which I disliked because it used old USDA doneness temps.
For pork it would go to 160 and that was it, not good if doing a butt.
Can't read the rest of it, so maybe it's different?

Tim

I didn't look that close , but if that's how it works , it's useless. I thought seeing 150 as a target temp for beef in the package art was pretty weird.
Well , I'll have to look closer next time , but that's probably why it's so cheap.
for now , I'll just stick to my Taylor programmable therm.

The fairly popular Maverick et-733 has a Meat and Taste button (My guess is the button to the left of the taste says meat) so you can select a Meat and then a taste/doneness.

BUT in addition (using your example) if Pork comes up at 160, you can override that and move it up to whatever temp you want. as high as 200+ degrees. I think all it really does is control if an alarm will go off/flash when you hit that actual level.

So I guess the real question is can you adjust that beyond the (example only again) 160. And if not as long as the real temp readout till gives you a good read does it matter - meaning it may say the target is 160 but the actual temp is XXX (180, 190 etc).

If it is the same guts as the dual probe 732 or 733 models might be a good deal. if not, who knows

Last edited:
Frank I bought one similar to that when I was in a pinch, I use it when I need a second food probe that my 732 could not do. forget the rare, medium, bells and whistles and set it just to give you IT, might be a cheaper way to monitor multiple meats, just a thought

Back