Maryland Pit Beef

I' not sure which place that pic came from but I will throw my vote up for Andy Nelson's as well. I'm currently in the process of researching a way to mimic their smoked wings. They are by far the best thing I've had there. I would never have thought that wings that aren't deep fried and served naked could taste that friggin good!

I'm going to be hounding them for tips at the Maryland BBQ Bash in Bel Air next weekend!

Ok where to start. This thread seems to have gone from best pit beef sammie in MD to the best BBQ joint in MD. The pic is from a pit beef sammie I had at the Susquehanna Inn/Bar right near the Rt 1 & Rt 222 intersection near Coniwingo MD. It was really good, and I enjoyed the seasoning/rub they had on the meat, and for $5.85.
icon_smile.gif

I met up with Dean L from TVWBB there about 3 weeks ago. Dean had to leave and did not get one.
Fast forward to this past Wed and meeting up with Jeremy C from TVWBB at his house in Towson MD. We then went over to Andy's and met up with Dean L and his wife Susan. Dean and Susan placed their orders first then Jeremy. While Jeremy was placing his order is when I got an attidue about the place instantly. Jeremy likes his meat med rare and requested his pit beef that way. He was told you can't get it that way. The meat is the way it is. Now this really shocked me, that you can't get a roast beef sammie to the doneness you like. So he ordered one anyway and it was med well, same as mine. I love my meat med well, but that's not the point here. Your paying $8.10 for a beef sammie, you should be able to get it done they way you like it, this wasn't Arby's we were at people.
icon_confused.gif
So I ate mine, and while the meat was tender and I did like it, it had no seasoning/rub on the meat. So after my first trip to Andy's, I give the Susquehanna the best MD pit beef that I have had so far. Ok, I know I've only been to 2 places, but they won hands down over Andy's IMO. Dean is going to take me to one of the places he goes to for pit beef, and I'll compare that one against the other 2.
icon_biggrin.gif

Well next time invite me, damnit! Kidding, although I'm sorry you had a bad experience there. I've never been much of a pit beef guy, maybe I just haven't had good pit beef but I always considered it kinda bland.

However, it would be a cool idea to get everyone from Maryland and surrounding areas together for a BBQ meet and greet. I'd definitely be down for that. I don't know a single person who's into BBQ.
icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle H.:
I'm sorry you had a bad experience there.

However, it would be a cool idea to get everyone from Maryland and surrounding areas together for a BBQ meet and greet. I'd definitely be down for that. I don't know a single person who's into BBQ.
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Kyle, I didn't have a bad experience there, my sammie was good. I just couldn't belive that you couldn't get the pit beef to the doneness of your choice. That just blows me away.
About the get together, I'm trying to. I don't see your name on the list here.
icon_biggrin.gif

Kyle,

I've posted to you a couple of times, but never heard back from you....my email is in my public profile, as is Bryan's....I'm just up the road in Bel Air
icon_smile.gif

I agree about the fuss over pit beef....never quite understood the attraction ! I'll try and get Bryan to Wargo's, out on Old MD 23....

BTW....it looks like Andy Nelson isn't competing in the MD BBQ Bash....based on the list in this week's paper...

Dean....

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
I agree about the fuss over pit beef....never quite understood the attraction ! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'll work it out and let you have a taste. When it's done right, it's right.
icon_biggrin.gif
If anybody has ever eaten a roast biff sammie from the Shanesville Hotel off Rt 100 here in PA, you know what I'm talking about. Funny thing is, they do theirs in the oven, and to this day, nothing I ever ate can even compare to that roast biff sammie.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">BTW....it looks like Andy Nelson isn't competing in the MD BBQ Bash....based on the list in this week's paper... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You just ruined my day! That sucks, I wonder why they aren't going to have a booth...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by D Larsen:
Kyle,

I've posted to you a couple of times, but never heard back from you....my email is in my public profile, as is Bryan's....I'm just up the road in Bel Air
icon_smile.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Dean, sorry about that. Completely unintentional. I just haven't really messed with the profile stuff since I originally created my account. Email addy is now public! Any ignoring on my part was unintentional I assure you. Sometimes I tend to lose conversations on these boards because there are just so many of them!

Yeah, I was pretty shocked that I couldn't get my pit beef medium rare. In an ideal world, I would have gotten in rare. I just asked for medium rare because I didn't think they'd do it rare. Little did I know they didn't have medium rare either!

It was still a decent sandwich, definitely not the best. Bryan was right, there was very little, if any seasoning or crispy bark like substance to it. It was, however, very tender. Slathered on some horseradish and raw onions and it was still a pretty good sammie.

Hey, V_Rocco !

I'm thinking of using one of my Treuth tri-tips with your recipe...but I'm wondering....3 DAYS in the rub ? Have you tried it ? I don't want to waste a good tri
icon_biggrin.gif

Dean...

Well, I happened to catch an old episode of "Guy's Big Bite" on the FN. He was making Maryland Pit Beef. Recipe is similar, but he adds chili powder and onion powder to the rub, and sour cream and minced garlic to the horseradish sauce. Here is his version :

Baltimore Beef Bad Boy
Guy Fieri, "Guy's Big Bite", FoodNetwork.com

Ingredients
· 2 tablespoons seasoned salt
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 1 tablespoon onion powder
· 1 tablespoon garlic powder
· 2 teaspoons dried oregano
· 1 tablespoon paprika
· 1 teaspoon chili powder
· 4 pounds top round, cut in 2-equal pieces
· 1/2 cup sour cream
· 1/2 cup mayonnaise
· 1 teaspoon lemon juice
· 1/2 cup horseradish
· 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
· 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
· 16 slices Rye bread, lightly toasted

Directions

Combine seasoned salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, onion and garlic powder, oregano,
paprika and chili powder in a 1-gallon sealable plastic bag. Mix thoroughly and then
add 1 piece of meat, shake it around in the bag, remove it and repeat with the second
piece of meat. When both pieces are done, return them to the bag, and let marinate for
24 to 48 hours in refrigerator. Remove meat from refrigerator at least 20 minutes,
prior to grilling.

In a medium-sized bowl, combine the sour cream, mayonnaise, lemon juice, horseradish,
garlic and sea salt and pepper. Mix thoroughly and place into refrigerator for at least 4 hours.

Set grill or large grilling pan to high heat. Cook meat for 20 minutes or until desired temperature. Remove from heat, cover and let rest for 5 to 10 minutes. Best served medium-rare. Slice cooked and rested steaks paper thin using either a knife
or counter-top deli-slicer. Place 4-ounces of meat on a slice of toasted rye and spread on sour cream horseradish.

Haven't tried either one, but I guess the 2-3 days in the rub must be about right
icon_smile.gif
The toasted rye bread sounded like a tasty substitution !

Dean...

This is very timely because I was thinking about doing this weekend. Question though. This one says cook direct on high heat while other recipes are indirect. Any thoughts on what will work better?

Thanks,

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">This is very timely because I was thinking about doing this weekend. Question though. This one says cook direct on high heat while other recipes are indirect. Any thoughts on what will work better? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, The size of the piece of meat will determine which way to go. If your doing a big chunk of top round roast, go with indirect. If using say a top round steak/AKA london broil cut as they are called alot, I'd say use direct. HTH

Bryan,

Thanks for the help. If I do this, I will probably use Top Round so I would do indirect. Last question, what grill temp am I shooting for on the indirect?

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
If I do this, I will probably use Top Round so I would do indirect. Last question, what grill temp am I shooting for on the indirect?

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, Grill as in a Weber kettle i'm guessing? I'd shoot for the 350-400º range to get a nice char on the outside. In MD they grill direct and then shave off the char from the sides then back on the grill it goes for another round of char. You can do it like that but I'd just shoot for the center to be what you after, i.e. rare, med rare etc. and don't forget to factor in about 5-8º for carry over cooking once the meat is removed and resting. If you want more char, you can move it over direct for a few min on each side before removing . The ends will be a little more done so if your feeding some with different prefferences on doneness, all should be good. HTH

Bryan,

Thanks once again. Yeah, by grill I meant the Weber. I also thought about just doing high heat on the WSM with the beef on the top grate and now water pan. My thinking is it would be high enough above the coals to keep from flaring up.

Bob

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert T.:
I also thought about just doing high heat on the WSM with the beef on the top grate and now water pan. My thinking is it would be high enough above the coals to keep from flaring up.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Bob, that's how I would do it. I haven't used any of my Weber grills in 2 years. Here's my method/theory. HTH

Bryan,

Awesome and I appreciate your help with all my questions.

I will certainly share some pics if and when I fire this up.

Thanks again.

Bob

Bryan,

Awesome and I appreciate your help with all my questions.

I will certainly share some pics if and when I fire this up.

Thanks again.

Bob </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
My pleasure Bob. Please post the results and pics of your cook for us, Thanks
icon_smile.gif

What Bryan said
icon_biggrin.gif

The ones I've seen cooked in MD, I'd say they were "direct", BUT they move the meat around, and the grills are high above the coals. It might be a "reverse sear" kinda approach. Remember that, one of the keys is to not get it too well done ! You want it a little rare, to keep it "tender"

BTW....I love adding some raw onion rings to the top of the sammie
icon_smile.gif
The wife and I are not big fans of horseradish

I'm echoing Bryan.....post your results, and pics, so we can all learn from your experiments !

Dean...

Back