Marinate Brisket or not?

I haven't marinated my briskets yet. I've only done 6 of them.

What I have done lately is slather them with a combo of yellow mustard and A1 steak sauce (equal parts). Then I put my rub on.

I've heard that some comp teams marinate but I don't know how well they do.

Most marinades for brisket are used as a mop during the cook or when foiling brisket it is added at that point and goes back on the cooker.

Marinating before cooking doesn't do much, injecting would be a better choice.
Jim

A forums search on "brisket marinade" turned up a lot of results.

I tried it once. It worked well, but not any better than a rub. I think it depends on what you're after.

Jim, what about brining a brisket or pork butt?
Originally posted by Jim Minion:
Most marinades for brisket are used as a mop during the cook or when foiling brisket it is added at that point and goes back on the cooker.

Marinating before cooking doesn't do much, injecting would be a better choice.
Jim

I have made my own corned beef using a brisket a couple of times. Which is excellent by the way. Chris has detais in the cooking section.

I haven't soaked, marinated, or injected a plain brisket. I am with Joel I guess it is what you are after.

Jeff, looking to see if I can get the same results on a brisket as you do when you brine a turkey. I'm looking for a way to get the flavor inside without having to inject.
Originally posted by Jeff T Miller:
I have made my own corned beef using a brisket a couple of times. Which is excellent by the way. Chris has detais in the cooking section.

I haven't soaked, marinated, or injected a plain brisket. I am with Joel I guess it is what you are after.

Paul, I am afraid I haven't brined a turkey yet. I have done 2 turkeys the past 2 thanksgiving's. I just buy the ones treated in solution.

To me using the rub that chris has on the site makes a great flavor. That is just me of course. I suppose when I tire of that I will try something new.

When you do it definately post the results.

Thanks. I am trying to take advantage (again) of all the experts who know their Q and these forums inside and out. If I had wireless net on the train home, I probably know the answer by now.
icon_wink.gif

instead of wireless on a train, why don`t you get yourself a copy of htrrack, a free web site copier for off-line browsing.

I copied the whole of hollyeats and chowhounds before we started on our annual trip through the south. When it came to looking for a restaurant, it was all there on our laptop.

Back