Marinading Chicken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric Hartnell

TVWBB Member
I've noticed when you marinate chicken for too long, it tend to break down the chicken meat leaving a "powdery" feel in you mouth. How long should chicken be left in marinade before use?

I use WB Italian to marinate my butterflied chicken halves and leave them in overnight. I've never noticed a problem with the taste.

Paul

Eric....

I always marinate thighs overnight in Italian dressing and have never had that kind of reaction.

Most marinades will only penetrate to about 5mm in depth. However, if you are using something really high in acid content then I suppose it will breakdown the meat. But, even at that, it will take a long time to accomplish.

List the ingredients in your marinade and maybe we can help further.

I'm planning on using chicken breasts with Lawry's Teriyaki Marinade. Not sure if they added some tenderizer or not. I've done breasts in the past overnight and it had this effect.

Oh man....I just bought 3 bottles of this stuff! The family likes to whip up boneless, skinless breasts when in a hurry. They were cheap so thought I would try.

I'll let you know as soon as we eat some!

I usually use the Teriyaki Marinade for beef kabobs and it is excellent. I will marinate the beef overnight without problems. I just brush it on the veggies before grilling. I'll also leave a little in the bottle for dipping sauce.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back