Making the switch to lump full-time

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
Since we have the Kingsford debacle, I'm going to switch my charcoal to Royal Oak. Does lump work well for a faster cook, such as baby backs? Should I still add a chunk of smokewood? Will the cook times (3-2-1 modified method) be faster?

I wouldn't say it cooks faster, as your going to be aiming to cook at the same temperatures as with briquettes.

The main differences I've noticed are temperature response of your smoker will change quite a bit. You just have to keep an eye on it the first couple of times until you get used to the faster temperature changes, and sometimes it can get away from you a bit and you'll have a hard time getting the temp down.

But the longer burn time and more pure product are great advantages in my mind.

As for smoke wood, I would still use it and probably use the same amount as with briquettes.

Anton

the cook times are completely dependent on the temp of the cooker, not what is fueling it. So, if, with Lump, you keep the same temps you did with Kingsford, the timing of the cook would be the same.

I also have just made the switch. I was in the store looking at bags of both old and new Kingsford when I saw RO lump. I walked out with 2 bags of the RO and no Kford. I cann't wait to use them on a cook, I've never used lump before at all.

The cook times will be the same, however, the amount of fuel used may vary some.

Like the earlier post, lump is much faster reacting than charcoal to vent changes. Definitely catch it on the way up.

Experiment with the wood. You will notice the taste of the wood when using lump. I am probably using a little less wood now, but not by much.

Make sure you don't just pour the lump into the ring, try and fill the gaps between piecs.

Back