maintaining global knives?

A dissecting microscope might be overkill, but a magnifier of some sort is really helpful for troubleshooting problems.

Watching for the burr formation is a way to minimize the amount of steel you are removing. When the burr forms you have gone as far on that side of the knife with that grade of stone as you need to. With a fine stone, though, the burr is not obvious.

You'll likely eventually outgrow both approaches as you gain experience with your sharpening setup and knives.

Originally posted by K Kruger:
On the hone we differ. I highly recommend one. It significantly lengthens the time between sharpenings. (Use a very slightly wider angle; a couple very light passes each side; done.)

Based on previous experience with "steels", the usefulness of the ceramic hone was lost on me until I broke down and bought one. It does result in a slightly more refined edge, true, but the real benefit is that touch-ups between sharpenings are very quick and easy.

My experience with most true steels was that the grooved ones ruined the edge and the smooth ones didn't do much with hard blades. This ceramic hone is different, really useful for extending the time between full sharpening sessions.

BTW, the hone sold by EdgePro is actually marked Idahone. It's their "fine" model, readily available in lots of places.

Back