Maiden Voyage of the Weber GA.

Mike P.

TVWBB All-Star
I've had a WSM for about 3 years and have been using gassers for a long time. I've been using the gasser for years to cook HH steaks and burgers. Bought a GA and here are some pic's of 1st cook:

fc1gxt.jpg

dynfc7.jpg

I've forgotten how to cook with charcoal other than a water smoker. This has been a whole different game. I want to do direct sear quick cook of steaks and burgers mainly. I like the ideas I've seen so far to do that. Would appreciate any input to do it more better! ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
ha ha ! thats what i did to break mine in also. to cook indirect, put coals on half of one side and cook on the other. the baffles should be only open on the side of the coals and closed on the non coal side. you can adjust the opening to control the heat. also the top vent over the coals should e closed and the one over the meat should be open.
the pics i've posted will give you great suggestions. i like using lump at times. i went and got some expanded metal and cut it to size so it fits over the coal grate. this prevents the lump from falling through the stock grates. always make sure that the open top vent is always downwind. yer gonna have some real fun with the ga !

I've seen some really nice mod to those GA(s) to make them a VERY flexible piece of cook wear. Congrats on the new cooker!

While I don't have that grill...the best thing to learn any grill and how to cook on it is to grill, grill, grill then grill some more. Nice grill.

Back