Mac & Cheese

Bryan S

TVWBB Olympian
On the WSM, anybody ever try it? I'm going to give it a go either way, just thought I'd poke around a bit before trying it.
icon_biggrin.gif

Actually yes. I put an disposable aluminum pan of mac and cheese on the lower grate under some ribs. Adults loved it, kids not so much. But then again those kids were picky eaters anyway. Since their mom didn't cook it they didn't like it. My niece and nephew liked it. Anyways can you tell I get offended even when a 4 year told tells me my food is yucky. Anyways I liked it. I thought the smoke and drippings made it awesome, and so did the rest of MY family. I just took a basic mac and cheese recipe and instead of throwing it in the oven I put it on the smoker.

Bryan, I've done it a few times with mac and cheese (as well as other casserole type dishes) when I didn't want to heat the kitchen up. Only thing is that I have a real tough time getting the WSM over 375, even without the water pan and using the standard method. So of course you will have to modify the recipe for the temp.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry D.:
Since their mom didn't cook it they didn't like it...Anyways can you tell I get offended even when a 4 year told tells me my food is yucky. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Arrggggg I hear you Gerry. I have several nieces and nephews, nearly all of them are extremely picky eaters. Drives me insane. When I was a kid, if my mom (or a family friend) made something and me or my brothers wouldn't eat it, or if we bad mouthed it...well, let's just say my dad got a bit upset with us. Kinda *really* upset.
icon_wink.gif

Glad my parents did that to me though. If someone goes out of their way to cook something for me, or otherwise gives me food, I will eat it no matter what. To do otherwise is just plain rude and childish.
Can you tell this is a subject that really pushes my buttons?
icon_biggrin.gif

I am with both of you. I completely get offended when someone (although not with kids) criticizes my food, even though I might be thinking the same thing. I went to another bbq a few weeks back and one of my friends said "these ribs compete with yours Erik." That really got under my skin, especially when I know how the ribs were cooked. I also get ticked when no one praises my cooking, to me it feels as bad as an offensive comment.

Erik

Bryan,

While I have not tried it on the WSM, my wife recently tried a new dish that she calls "adult macaroni". She cooks a cup of elbow macaroni, drains the water and then adds a tablespoon of butter and a 5 ounce package of Boursin cheese to the macaroni and mixes it well. It is delicious - but the kids might not like it. It is quite simple and very delicious.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray Crick:
Bryan,

While I have not tried it on the WSM, my wife recently tried a new dish that she calls "adult macaroni". She cooks a cup of elbow macaroni, drains the water and then adds a tablespoon of butter and a 5 ounce package of Boursin cheese to the macaroni and mixes it well. It is delicious - but the kids might not like it. It is quite simple and very delicious.

Ray </div></BLOCKQUOTE>When we were starving grad students, we used to eat "mac and cheese" - elbow macaroni mixed with cottage cheese.

We grew up and got advanced degrees and so did your "Mac and Cheese" - sounds yummy
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When we were starving grad students, we used to eat "mac and cheese" </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah Rich - I understand. When I got out of college and had my first job, I rented a place with 4 other recent grads and we shared the cooking (2 of us cooked each night) and we did every imaginable way to cook mac and cheese. Fond memories! Thanks for reminding me.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Arrggggg I hear you Gerry. I have several nieces and nephews, nearly all of them are extremely picky eaters. Drives me insane. When I was a kid, if my mom (or a family friend) made something and me or my brothers wouldn't eat it, or if we bad mouthed it...well, let's just say my dad got a bit upset with us. Kinda *really* upset.
icon_wink.gif

Glad my parents did that to me though. If someone goes out of their way to cook something for me, or otherwise gives me food, I will eat it no matter what. To do otherwise is just plain rude and childish.
Can you tell this is a subject that really pushes my buttons?
icon_biggrin.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My point exactly. If I was at someone's house I ate whatever they put in front of me whether I liked it or not with no complaints. Even it was something I couldn't stand eating. It annoys me more when a child says it because that tells me they weren't taught any manners. If an adult criticizes and doesn't have any suggestion as to what they would change or how to make it better then I get ticked.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
I also get ticked when no one praises my cooking, to me it feels as bad as an offensive comment. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah I hear that too. My wives family, especially my mother in law, never says anything about my food. They might thank me, but they would thank me if I ordered a pizza. They grew up in a house without a grill. Can you believe that! Usually I plan for at least a week for a BBQ. They just don't realize the time an effort that goes into making good BBQ. I'd rather cook for MY family and friends because they can appreciate it.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Back