Lump Charcoal

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am having difficulty maintaining a low temp in my WSM. I have replaced the bottom bowl and center section, wrapped the edges with several layers of aluminum foil to make the unit air tight and I still am having problems.

Is my problem that I am using lump charcoal? I much prefer using lump but if necessary I would change over to regular charcoal.

Thanks in advance,

Slowsmoke

Joel
you didnt mention how far off your temps were or for how long. Did you check the accurracy of your thermometer?
If your temps are maintaining high for more than an hour.(Over 300 with an accurate thermometer and vents closed down) than it could be an air leak. If your getting temp spikes for 1/2 hour or less with the temps going down than it is probably due to the lump. Lump burns hotter at first. When I used to use lump even with the bottom vents closed I could get temp spikes for the first 1/2* up to 375 using lump. With Kingsford and full water pan its hard to get temps over 290 unless you have a big air leak (a really poor fitting access door or somthing)
Jim

Sorry I forgot to ask :what methode for lighting fuel Standard or Minion.

My post is geered more if you use the minion methode. Ive never tried to nor do I know what would hapen if you light a lot of lump at once. (Very hot Im thinking).
Jim

Thanks, Jim, for responding. I am able to keep the temps below 250 but I have to pretty much close the bottom vents which I really don't like to do. The temperature I guess would average around 230 but it takes some tinkering to keep it there.

I guess I will try some Kingsford next cook to see if I have better luck.

Thanks,

Slowsmoke

Sounds like you were getting pretty good control with lump. From what I just read I can tell you you dont have any significant air leak. Lump fires up much more quickly than briquet (no fillers). When you first add the lit coals to your pile, or give it any sudden fresh air(opening an access dore or taking the lid off for more than a few seconds you give it plenty of air to get more coals to start burning. I still get temp spikes with kingsford from doing these mentioned things. But with lump it makes a bigger difference.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back