Lump Charcoal Convert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dale Groetsema

TVWBB Super Fan
After a couple years of cooking with Kingsford charcoal in my WSM, I have been trying lump charcoal the last couple cooks.

Not a convert yet, but I was impressed by how little ash remained after the cook compared to Kingsford, and, it was light and fluffy like real wood.

I find that I have to watch the temperature more closely, tweaking the vents every 30 minutes or so. With practice, I am sure that will become less of a hassle.

One thing I did notice. When lump charcoal goes out, it goes out fast. I was running around 250 at the dome, and 30 minutes later, when I checked, it had dropped to 182, despite having one vent fully opened. I removed the top of the cooker and found several unburnt pieces, but essentially, the fire was out. Had to light up another chimney of charcoal and filled the charcoal ring to get it going again. Anyone else find this happening when they use lump charcoal.

One other thing--lump is not cheap. I went to a distributor, bought 5 40 lb bags, for about $15 each. About double the price of Kingsford. We'll see if it is worth it.

Dale

I have switched to lump and am really impressed with the results. The problem I had with charcaol was getting it to long burns. What I have found is that the lump burns longer, and is not effected by moisture as is charcoal. Did a burn yesterday and it rained and had to add more lump after eight hours and the bag was wet and the lump lit and temp came back up. The lump may coast more per bag but it last much longer, charcazolused to burn at 10 lbs per smoke, I brought a 20 lb bag and I used it for four smokes. Cheaper in the long run. I am a convert.
Dan

Go to a True Value Hardware Store Lump costs $9.99 for a 20lb. bag. Do you know what nasty fillers they put in Briquettes to hold them together and make them last longer. One of the ingredients in Kingsford is Anthircite coal wich i burn in my coal stove. not something you want to cook with. Lump charcol is KING

I use lump because briquettes aren't available here in Spain. I'm happy with it, but I'm surprised to hear you say that it burns longer than Kingsford. I thought the general consensus was just the opposite, that Kingsford was "king" for long cooks. I wonder if anyone has done a side-by-side comparison of the two.

The lump I've used (I've tried several different brands from different sources) cost twice as much as Kingsford and lasted half as long. I'll stick with Kingsford.

Steve

If you believe that using lump elimates putting bad stuff on your food, you should check out the BGE Forum.
Many have found painted and finished wood was used. Some have found that fir and woods that have been perserved have been burned down.
All I'm saying that buying a bag of lump doesn't insure that your safe.
Jim

What Jim says is very true; I've seen some real nasty stuff in some lump charcoal. Lately, I have been using Chef's Choice Mesquite Charcoal. It's 100% hardwood and looks like chunks of tree limbs and small trunks. To use in the WSM, I find that I have to break the chunks up a bit but they work well in a larger smoker, as is. You might like to read the 'Charcoal Products Show Private Label Growth' section of this article (about half-way down the page) and also see the sources list at the bottom of the page.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bryan S:
[qb] One of the ingredients in Kingsford is Anthircite coal wich i burn in my coal stove. not something you want to cook with. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
4_oven_solidfuel.jpg

If I had the money I would cook with Anthracite every day. These make Viking look cheap /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif As it is I'll change from Kingsford when it stops winning for me /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Aga

for my WSM it's only hardwood charcoal briquettes. everything i've read is that lump charcoal burns hotter and faster, not what i want in my WSM. i hold the lump charcoal for steaks and other quick cooks on my kettle.

I use which ever kind is closer to the smoker. I dont worry too much about it either.

I am a Kingsford user as well. You can get incredible bargains at Costco sometimes, depending on stock. I think I paid $10 for 2 20lb. bags shrink wrapped together.

Never need to worry about temps much, either (thanks, Jim Minion!)

Years ago I used Kingsford with great results. One day my wife picked up lump by mistake and after cooking with it I could taste the difference in my food and the smell while I was cooking wasn't the solvent type smell. Since then, nothing but lump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back