LP tank temperature, NG to LP conversion

Jim Roszel

Hi guys, I just finished my NG to LP conversion on a 2011 Genesis E-320.

I was intending to keep the tank under the firebox in the cabinet but noticed after doing a test fire to burn off any manufacturing residue on new grates (30 minutes on high) that the 20 lb LP tank seemed a little warm to the touch. It's sitting on the right hand side under the drip tray, next to the foil tray, which seemed like the location from the LP model manual. I used a infrared thermometer (cheapo Amazon, not sure of its accuracy but generally trust it) and it was saying the top of the tank was high 90s low 100s, the valve was saying 109.

That seems close to the "danger zone" to me, but I'm also new to gas grilling. Is this normal? Should I be looking for a heat shield? Keep the tank outside of the cabinet?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Realistically, if you ran it full blast for 30 minutes and only got to 109 degrees, that is pretty much your worst case scenario test and you did fine. Other than that, common sense should tell you to be careful when running a grill full blast for that long. You'll be fine.

Of course, I could imagine some sort of a massive grease fire....

I am a tank on the outside fan. Find a weber tank scale and bumpers. My natural gas one already has pre drilled holes

Frees up space and seems less dangerous. Aesthetically my wife hasn’t complained yet…

177C12CE-37AE-4645-8E2D-C9FB8682A9A8.jpeg76F232C8-7A94-4EEE-87D6-D5097AB5DC61.jpeg

Hey guys, thanks so much! I'm going to work on moving it outside asap and until then I'll move it manually.

@DanHoo thanks, I did not realize those parts were different!

@Scott Smith I agree it seemed like a long time, in actual use I'd probably never do it that long. Some peace of mind there, I guess.

I can't say enough good things about this forum, I really hope I can return the favors you all have paid me in the future!

Outside makes it so much easier to access for both opening and closing the main valve and swapping tanks.
Agreed, i was thinking about the "clean look" before but function over fashion is a real consideration here! Plus it doesn't look bad on the outside, either

You don’t want any stress on the regulator hose . I am concerned with an unsecured tank ripping a fitting off a grill.
In my experience, this does not stress the hose if you position the tank sensibly. However, I typically use the brackets because I have them. The tanks are obviously designed to function unsupported (unlike welding tanks, for example). I see your point about ripping a fitting off the grill but tipping a tank has not been my experience.

Not sure I'm following where you wouldn't put the tank.
Your picture appears to show full tanks attached to both sides of the grill. One is obviously necessary. My point is that I would keep any other spare tanks at a safe distance from any open flame or ignition source. I keep mine in a shed about 50 feet away, along with small bottles of propane and all my gasoline, map gas, pool chemicals, etc. If by any chance, the shed blows, it would be unlikely to damage anything else much.

If it all goes south, the fire is particularly dangerous to fight because the tanks have a habit of exploding without warning at random times.

Your picture appears to show a spare tank attached to the grill, which is actually worse in my view because it can't be kicked or carried away in the event of a fire.

Back