LP tank not feeding gas

John A. Winston

TVWBB Member
Need advice from the experts. Have a full LP tank that will not let gas flow to Weber Genesis. Removed tank that was low put on full tank, no gas flow. Put low tank back on and grill fires up. Tried another half full tank and it works. Put full tank back on and no gas flow. All tanks filled at Ace Hardware. Thanks for any help.

Wow, seems like a tank issue. Or did the refilled tank fall over and trip the safety device? Maybe try going through a full reset procedure. Also check to make sure when you're hooking the tank up, the valve is not on (either on the tank or on the grill). Make sure everything is "off"

I'd suggest rolling the tank around in odd angles to see if you can get the opd valve (float) to move....

If that doesn't work, this would be the next step....

It could be a full tank in the heat keeping the safety valve stuck...

Edit --- ooopps - copied my search and lost the vid I just saw....
Basically it showed opening the relief screw for 1-3 minutes until enough pressure bled off to reset the safety.

I was actually googling for diagrams of how an opd valve works.... curiosity got the better of me...

Last edited:
I'd suggest rolling the tank around in odd angles to see if you can get the opd valve to move....

Basically it showed opening the relief screw for 1-3 minutes until enough pressure bled off to reset the safety.

I was actually googling for diagrams of how an opd valve works.... curiosity got the better of me...
Thanks, will try later this afternoon

I'd suggest rolling the tank around in odd angles to see if you can get the opd valve (float) to move....

I have had to do this. Exchange tank from Home Depot.

I was going to suggest whacking the valve with a 2lb hammer a few times to loosen it up. LOL. <------ Just kidding folks.

Glad you got it working though. I will remember that if/when that happens to me again. It happened to me a week or two ago. It was a flip grill, so I just put a different tank on it and it fired right up.

I was going to suggest whacking the valve with a 2lb hammer a few times to loosen it up. LOL. <------ Just kidding folks.

Glad you got it working though. I will remember that if/when that happens to me again. It happened to me a week or two ago. It was a flip grill, so I just put a different tank on it and it fired right up.
Be sure to have a lit cigarette in your mouth as well :D

Back