Lower brace for SS Performer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
Does anyone have the lower cross braces that go from one end to the other for the older SS Performer? I know that Weber no longer supplies these but maybe someone on here may know where I can get two of them.

The inside of one end of one of the braces on the Charcoal Performer I just bought yesterday is rusted out and broken. The rest of the bolts on the other brace and the remaining bolt on the broken brace act like they are rusted also and will probably break. The lower braces were loose and when I tried to tighten one of the bolts, the inside broke. Thanks.

Wayne

Hi Gary,
Yes I did. This one is the version with no gas assist and is black in color. It has a 2005 lid so I'm not sure how old it is. I would say its a pre-2000 model. If I can't find the lower braces, I might use it for parts for my Red one since some of the things are in better shape. This one also uses the ash catcher bar which is pretty rusty but not as bad as the one that was on my red one.

The grill is actually in pretty good shape so I hope I can find some braces. I guess I could use it as is but it won't be as stable.

Wayne

Man, wish I was handy w/ some fabrication work. As many people that want these braces, would like to make some and sell them at a fair price when people need them, put a few coats of some high temp paint on them..good to go.

They may not look pretty, but you can easily fabricate these braces using common aluminum stock sold at Home Depot, for instance.

What I've seen on some of these, is it's not usually the bottom brace that rusts out, but there is some type of compression nut/washer inside of the brace that accepts the bolt from the vertical section of the frame and expands, that eventually turns to rusty dust. This presents another problem all together. I wonder if Weber sells these parts? Can't find it on a schematic.

I did see some pictures on here of a fella who replaced his braces with red oak. It looked pretty nice. I'll have to see if I can find his post...

George, I will have to check out the aluminum stock at HD and see if I can make something.

Jered, the nut/washer assembly inside the brace is what actually rusted out and broke on mine and made the brace virtually worthless. I'm trying to think of a way to actually attach the existing brace to the side frame so it will be strong and not look terrible.

I'm wondering if there is a way to bend a thin piece of metal over the end of the brace and attach it and then drill a hole in the middle of it so you can screw in a bolt like the one that goes through the frame. I would like to figure something out.

Wayne

Originally posted by Jered Crews:
What I've seen on some of these, is it's not usually the bottom brace that rusts out, but there is some type of compression nut/washer inside of the brace that accepts the bolt from the vertical section of the frame and expands, that eventually turns to rusty dust. This presents another problem all together. I wonder if Weber sells these parts? Can't find it on a schematic.

I did see some pictures on here of a fella who replaced his braces with red oak. It looked pretty nice. I'll have to see if I can find his post...

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...=763100371#763100371

Nicely done Mike. I personally would use wood to replace broken or rusted out bits as well. It adds a soft touch to the all metal SS Performer.

very easy to fix. just take a thick piece of steel cut to fit inside. drill a hole and tap it to fit the bolt. weld the piece inside. easy.

I might make a piece just for the heck of it. I was thinking of a cherry stain, Then wood burn w/ stensils WEBER or my last name...

Originally posted by Gary Michael:
I might make a piece just for the heck of it. I was thinking of a cherry stain, Then wood burn w/ stensils WEBER or my last name...

Wow... you're much more creative than me. But I was thinking of mounting a bottle opener on mine.
icon_biggrin.gif

anim_550.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back