Low temp problem

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Yesterday I cooked 2 butterflied chickens on the bottom rack and a rack of spares on the top. For the first 2 hours everything was going beautiful. I was maintaining a constant 232F through the top vent. I cooked using the standard method starting with a full chimney of hot briquettes (grayed) and a full chimney of briquettes on top of those. After about 2 hours though the temp started dropping to the point it finally settled in at about 217F. Nothing I could do would get the temp up to the desired 230 and I definitely couldn't raise towards the end to my desired 250-270 for the last hour or so. I eventually put another 1/2 chimney of hot coals in to raise it though.
Any ideas on why such a low temp and loss of temp with so much fuel.
BTW - It was very windy yesterday, but I did contruct the 3 sided wind break and I had a 10 minute gully washer at one point. I figure it had to be the wind causing my problems as all the fuel got used up. Everything turned out great but it took almost 8 hours to finish. Any suggestion on vent control, ie: which sides to close/open and how to orient to the wind?

Sounds like it probably was the wind; I know it's made things tough for me on several occasions. Even with a 3 sided shelter, you've still got wind rolling over the top and down creating a weird flow pattern.

I don't know the solution. I'm guessing the deeper the sides are, the better. And adding a top should help too. And maybe the MM is not the way to go in windy situations. Perhaps all fuel should be added already lit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back