low temp on smoker

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I seem to have a problem keeping the temp above 200 degrees. I start lump in a chimmney and put in circle. add more lump over the top of the coals. Temp drops to around 200 and stays there. I have hot water in the drip pan and vents open all the way. Any suggestions.

Have you checked the "Temperature Control Troubleshooting" section of this website? Its located under the "Tips & FAQS" heading. Chris's last comment describes a situation that sounds strikingly similar to yours.

You seem to be doing the reverse of the Minion method, i.e. putting unburned coals over the top of burned coals. Try the reverse. You may be smothering your coals with your method.

Actually, it sounds like Rick is using the standard method of firing up the WSM described on this website, except he is using lump rather than Kingsford. I still use the standard method whenever I am cooking 4-6 hours meats, like ribs and chicken. Even after 6 hours there is still alot of coals left which I reuse the next time. In my experience (limited) with the standard method, the lit coals on the bottom are not smothered. Of course, I let all the coals catch fire and get a nice gray coating of ash BEFORE I assemble the WSM and close all the vents. Perhaps, Rick is not letting the new lump catch fire before assembling the WSM and buttoning things up.

Rick, I highly recommend that you read the section on firing up your WSM in the "Tips & FAQs" section. There are also troubleshooting sections that I described in my last post. Those sections were invaluable to a Newbee like me in getting going and doing it right. (Thanks to Chris for his hard work in putting it all together)

Hey!! I see that I have now jumped from "New Member" status to "Veteran Member" status. I have arrived!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Dave Lewis:
[qb]Actually, it sounds like Rick is using the standard method of firing up the WSM described on this website, except he is using lump rather than Kingsford. [/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes, otherwise described as the reverse of the Minion method...

If not done properly, will definitely reduce temps by cutting adequate air to coals underneath.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back