Looking for wood chunks in the South

russell swift

TVWBB Super Fan
Anyone have a website, link, etc. for quality wood chunks that is based in the South? I live in NC, and don't want to pay more for the shipping than the actual order. Looking for fist-sized pecan, apple, and hickory chunks.

Also looking for Wicked Good Competition Blend if anyone knows of a provider in the SC/NC areas.

What growing area do Pecan trees atart at. They are in Ga. area? How far west? Sure wish they were around here!

I have 10 22lb bags of WGC left that I'd sell, at cost, for $15 a bag. It's pickup only though. If you plan on passing through Goldsboro, NC, send an email and we'll work something out. Lots of pecan around here too. So if you do plan a trip through, you might scout some pecan firewood for sale.

You can also find fruit orchards or nurseries in your area and see if they're willing to give you pruning scraps for free, or at least cheaper than having it shipped.

I recently placed an order from Charlie Chuck's Fruitwoods. I can't say what the chunks are like (they are supposed to be here Thursday), but the prices were very reasonable and the selection was nice. I ordered 3 12-lb bags (Apple/Peach/Pecan) for $10.95 per bag and $13.67 shipping to Central Florida. 25-lb bags are $15.95. They were very friendly when talking over the phone.

Rick, definitely follow up with me if you would when you receive your wood this week. If it is "quality", then I will go ahead and place my order b/c I need the wood ASAP.

Not sure where you are in NC/SC, but Barbecues Galore (a national chain - one in Charlotte, one in Raleigh) sells bags of wood chunks in many flavors. It's the only local place I have found wood other than mesquite and hickory, which seem to be everywhere.

I'm in Winston, so that would be a short drive for me....well worth it. Does BBQ Galore sell any higher end lump charcoals, such as Royal Oak or Wicked Good? All I can find up here is Cowboy Lump (which I don't like) and Original Charcoal Co. Lump (which burns good but the coals are too small). Have you cooked with any of their wood chunks?

Russell,

I wish I could give you a report on the chunks - but, as luck would have it, my package is in SC. It seems the address label either fell off the package, or became unreadable. I got an email that the package would be a couple of days late. I'll let you know how it is when it arrives.

Rick

Originally posted by russell swift:
I'm in Winston, so that would be a short drive for me....well worth it. Does BBQ Galore sell any higher end lump charcoals, such as Royal Oak or Wicked Good? All I can find up here is Cowboy Lump (which I don't like) and Original Charcoal Co. Lump (which burns good but the coals are too small). Have you cooked with any of their wood chunks?

The BBQ Galore in Cary NC had Big Green Egg lump, Cowboy, and Lazzari the last time I was there. I buy all my lump (Royal Oak) at Walmart.

I bought their apple, cherry, and oak chunks. Lots of big chunks, but also a lot of small-ish ones. Mesquite and Hickory I buy at the local Ace Hardware.

Another thing about BBQ galore - if you are in the market for rubs and sauces, they have a very big selection. Not sure about the prices, though, since I usually roll my own.

Originally posted by Rick Angiel: Charlie Chuck's Fruitwoods.
How can anyone resist ordering from a website with a theme song like that !
icon_smile.gif
The prices and selection look good, too.

Paul

Every Wal-Mart that I've ever shopped in the Upstate SC and Triad NC only carries Royal Oak briquettes......NOT Royal Oak Lump Charcoal. Does anyone know a Wal Mart between Winston Salem and Greenville, SC that does carry RO lump?

Originally posted by Steve Cole:
I have 10 22lb bags of WGC left that I'd sell, at cost, for $15 a bag. It's pickup only though. If you plan on passing through Goldsboro, NC, send an email and we'll work something out.
Dang, steve. Any chance I can interest you in moving to Connecticut soon?
icon_smile.gif
The falls are lovely up here...

that's a great deal... I'd do it in a heartbeat if I wasn't 600 miles away.

Originally posted by russell swift:
Every Wal-Mart that I've ever shopped in the Upstate SC and Triad NC only carries Royal Oak briquettes......NOT Royal Oak Lump Charcoal. Does anyone know a Wal Mart between Winston Salem and Greenville, SC that does carry RO lump?

I usually find them hiding in the Garden Center section - nowhere near the grills or groceries. They have a big rack of charcoal back there usually. The RO lump inventory has been decreasing this summer, though. I bought the last 8 bags they had last time I was there. I hope it is not a bad sign...

Yeah, I just ran my supply out. I have been looking up here in Salisbury, MD and in Charlotte. No Lump found in wally world.

If anyone has a source between charlotte and Beaufort, SC, I will be driving along that route next weekend. Please let me know.

I may come up with some pecan from my father-in-law's farm in goldsboro. May trade for apple or peach in Charlotte.

The only lump that I've seen is Cowboy Lump, Fresh Market, and Original Charcoal Co. Lump.....no Royal Oak Lump in the Upstate, even the garden centers at Wally World....why, b/c I've called them all!!!

Well, the chunks from Charlie Chuck's Fruitwoods have arrived. I didn't have a lot of time to really go through them, but from what I saw I am satisified. Many good size chunks. I will try to look through the bags a little better tomorrow, but I think I would not hesitate to order from them again.

Back