Looking for tips and suggestions for my Genesis Silver A restoration .

VinceGal

My Silver A was originally a natural gas grill. I recently replaced the valve assembly with a propane type. Burners are relatively new . I do need a new grease catcher , ignition kit along with the back warmer grill. My cross brace at the bottom between the frame legs is rusted out . You can see my quick fix with electrical tape lol . The left side brace near the firebox is rotted and needs replacing as well . All in all it's not too to bad I'd say . My wife bought it 10 years ago for me used :) Any comments are welcome . I hope my pics upload ok :) thanks . 😊20210505_200359.jpg

Attachments

• 20210505_200446.jpg
    20210505_200446.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210505_200410.jpg
    20210505_200410.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 9
My Silver A was originally a natural gas grill. I recently replaced the valve assembly with a propane type. Burners are relatively new . I do need a new grease catcher , ignition kit along with the back warmer grill. My cross brace at the bottom between the frame legs is rusted out . You can see my quick fix with electrical tape lol . The left side brace near the firebox is rotted and needs replacing as well . All in all it's not too to bad I'd say . My wife bought it 10 years ago for me used :) Any comments are welcome . I hope my pics upload ok :) thanks . 😊View attachment 27490
Nothing a little JB Weld Epoxy Putty can't fix!

OOPs I had not seen all the pics for some reason. Epoxy putty unfortunately cant fix the missing cross bar that hold the firebox. o_O

Good how to that will fix your frame issues

Look for a free silver A to recycle the frame and catch pan from is my suggestion. I went through 4 different donor grills before coming across enough pieces to be able to piece together a single good grill, which will be my next restoration project.

Look for a free silver A to recycle the frame and catch pan from is my suggestion. I went through 4 different donor grills before coming across enough pieces to be able to piece together a single good grill, which will be my next restoration project.
Hi Andy , I haven't had much luck where I live finding older Weber grills to buy at a decent price . The few I find for sale are either snapped up quick or commanding ridiculous prices . :) however , I will keep looking . I am surprised I found a new propane valve assembly brand new for $ 40 :)

Silver A's are pretty available around me. It seems certain Weber grills are more popular in certain areas than others.

Silver A's are pretty available around me. It seems certain Weber grills are more popular in certain areas than others.
Hi Bruce, could you please comment on frame repair? This grill needs the left crossmember and lower frame cross brace repaired.

thank you

BPratt, I would just refer you to the video I did which was posted above which is a HOW TO video that I personally did. It will show you how to repair that crossmember next to the cook box and you can use the same method to replace/repair the one on the bottom of the grill that you used electrical tape on.
If you watch the video and still have questions, let me know and I will do my best to answer them.
Keep in mind that the cross member by the cook box is 1 1/4" square tube steel and the one on the bottom is 1" square tube steel. But, in reality, you can use 1" on both. I had done that before.

If you have to replace more than those two pieces, I would say you are better off finding a good donor grill. It might take some time, but they are out there.

I just got 2 Drip pans direct from Weber yesterday, So they were available recently. I got one free and the other was $32 plus $7 shipping. You have to call Weber directly to order them. You might want to hurry before they run out again if you want a new one. To me it is worth especially for a keeper.

edit: I may have got confused between your needs between a grease catcher and a drip pan. To me the drip pan is in the bottom of the fire box and grease catch is below that.

Last edited:

Back