Looking for the most foolproof way to smoke a 7lb. flat.

Bill W.

TVWBB Member
I have not had much luck with brisket so far. It always tastes good and it's been pretty tender but it's been very dry. In the past I could only find 5lbers. w/the cap trimmed off. I finally found a 7lb flat that actually has some fat cap. I plan on firing it up tonight to let it go overnight. I've slathered it in mustard and then rubbed it so it's ready to go.

My question is what's the most "reliable" way to get a good tender & juicy brisket. I've read a bunch of conflicting things on this board and other boards. After reading a bunch of postings, my current plan is to run the smoker @ 225 to 250 for as long as it takes using small amounts of oak, cherry, & hickory. I plan to put it fat side down till it hits 185 and then rest it fatside up in foil for 2 hours. Is this the way to go?

Sounds good to me.
You could also try layering bacon over the top, and I bet the bacon would end up nice in a salad dressing or an baked taters.

morgan

I read this recently on another forum...

Mike Scrutchfield

Thanks for all the nice compliments on my brisket. It's been very successful this year. I won over $10,000 on my brisket entries in the contests I entered this year!

First of all you must start with good meat. The 99 cent a pound brisket just wont cut it. Always start with USDA Choice or better, I use Prime because of my meat sponsor (Beef America, Omaha Neb) but most of that is shipped overseas to Japan because they are willing to pay the price! Use Choice or better!

Next I start with a good rub that's heavy in garlic and pepper, ("Top Secret" brand) not yet available but I'm working on it for this Spring! Seasoned about three hours before smoking.

Smoke for at least 8-10 hours at 225 until the internal temp is in the 165-170 degree range. I like 4 chunks of Oak. 2 chunks of Cherry and 1 Hickory, with mostly white hot charcoal.

After the internal temp is 165+ I put the brisket in foil and cook at 300 degrees (oven or smoker temp) until the internal temp reaches 205 degrees. When that's done I just put it away in an insulated environment (I use a sleeping bag at contests) still wrapped in foil for several hours to allow it to still cook until I ready to serve.

What you have when you open it up is a brisket that you'll need to slice 1/2" thick to keep in slices and I then top it with a sweet, but still a distinctive whang,BBQ Sauce (again "Top Secret" as of this date!) to serve to the judges.

Most of the time it'll be up there with anyone for taste, tenderness, and appearance. Those are the three aspects we are judged on at BBQ contests!

To recap, use good meat, seasoning well, get the final ultimate temp. and top with just the right sauce, present it well. and you'll be a Blue Ribbon Winner!

Yeah, I read that one two. That one seems on the safer side. I'm afraid that it might mess up the bark though. I want to try burnt ends really badly.

btw-
I just reread the package and it's not a flat it's a trimmed full brisket. So I guess it's a pointer???

Hey Bill, the easiest way to smoke it is to send it to me
icon_biggrin.gif
, I'll send it back when I'm done
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_wink.gif

Bill -- that is the way to go. Jim Minion recommended it, I did it, and IT WORKED! Do recommend that you buy some cheap bacon and cover the grill below the brisket with the bacon. It tends to take some of the direct heat hit and (I believe) helps the brisket turn out better.

Thanks all for your advice. The brisket came out excellent! I did get confused about which side had the fat on it. I put so much rub on it and and I had too many beers that when it came time to throw it on the smoker I had no idea which side was the fatty side. In any case I threw it on the smoker and I had some fat that I trimmed from the spares I was going to do. I put some of that on top of the meat and let her go. I started it at 9:00 p.m. and it was done around 8:30 a.m. the next day. I let it sit for 1.5 hours and then I cut it up. It was tender and much jucier than in the past. The smell was outrageous. The only problem was my rub was way too spicy. I ended up having to scrape most of the bark off because it would be unbareable for my guests. All part of the learning experience. I'm also going to hunt down something larger than 7lbs. down. The point was too small for any real burnt end action and I was amazed at how much fat gets trimmed out. All in all it was a complete success. Thanks again all for your replies and for your past posts. The board is an incredible resource.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill W.:
The only problem was my rub was way too spicy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that an oxymoroW?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vernon N:
Originally posted by Bill W.:
The only problem was my rub was way too spicy. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Isn't that an oxymoron?

I might b havving a little troule after a 12 pack with friends. Drink more beer. BBQ better after BEER!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S Petrone:
Perhaps cut back on the beer! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Man you are just talking crazy now!

icon_biggrin.gif

subdude

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bill W.:
I have not had much luck with brisket so far. It always tastes good and it's been pretty tender but it's been very dry. In the past I could only find 5lbers. w/the cap trimmed off. I finally found a 7lb flat that actually has some fat cap. I plan on firing it up tonight to let it go overnight. I've slathered it in mustard and then rubbed it so it's ready to go.

My question is what's the most "reliable" way to get a good tender & juicy brisket. I've read a bunch of conflicting things on this board and other boards. After reading a bunch of postings, my current plan is to run the smoker @ 225 to 250 for as long as it takes using small amounts of oak, cherry, & hickory. I plan to put it fat side down till it hits 185 and then rest it fatside up in foil for 2 hours. Is this the way to go? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

BIll-i cook flats all the time. You stated the fat caps have been trimmed off. Thats why they are dry.
I never foil mine while they cook nor do i mop. I make sure there some fat on top though. I cook em to about 190 fat side up. Always moist
if you cant find them untrimmed then maybe the butcher can give you some fat to lay on top of them while they cook.
when they are done i usually let them rets a good 45 or so ..sometimes longer in a cooler
i cook at 225-250

Back