looking for some ideas for spares?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
I found a great deal on some nice looking non-enhanced spare ribs. 30 lbs for 15.98 here in Milwaukee. Now while these are a good deal I've had to do a little work on them. They came with the brisket bone attached so I had to saw that off as well as trim them up to a st louis ribs taking the tips off. They were large as well 5>up size with 4.5 slabs in the case. The kill date on the case was 09-08 so they ahvent been sitting long.

I'm cooking 2.5 tommorow and wanted to see if anyone had any really good idea.

I will use two WSM's and was thinking of using some "texas rib rangers rub" on some of them and some "Bubba's got a top secret rib rub" on some.

I was thinking of basting regurlarly with apple juice and havent decided If I'm going to foil or not?
I have all day until 5:30 PM and was thinking of starting around 9:00AM

Any ideas or thoughts??

Thanks

one other note, when I cut the tips off I left them in a strip. does anyone have a preference on cooking these as a strip or in pieces??

Thanks Jim!! will do

Hi Brian,

Sav On foods on 20th and Clyborurn.

The place is a kind of a dump but in the they have a few good deals on frozen meat. Watch out though they have some really mediocre stuff too. A fair bit of the stuff is packaged for industrial use like some chicken tenders in a 10 lb box breaded and an off name brand. Its only after you look a little further on the box that you can see they are acutally purdue chicken. The Baby backs they had were danish and didnt look good at all

These are BIG ribs (at the largest point 8" AFTER trimming the tips off) though and they do require some processing at home as I mentioned above. But they do look niceand meaty. The real test will come tonight. I have a meeting at 7:00 and have to be back for the football game.

I'm going to start another thread about frozen vs fresh pork to get some opinions.

Cheers and GO PACK!!

well it certainly was a rough night for a packers fan.

I put the ribs on as planned about 9:30 and cooked them until 3 :30 basting them regularly with applejuice but they looked nowhere near done these were bigger potentially tougher spares so I took them in the house and unrolled them and foiled for two hours. WAY TOO LONG as when I got back the meat had curled up on the bones. they tasted great after saucing them and putting them back on the grill but I wish i didnt have to run to a meeting and could have just kept with plan a and cooked them until they were done without foil.

Thanks for the tips

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>basting them regularly with applejuice <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Tom,
Could you please define "regularly"? Everytime you open the lid it adds atleast 15mins to the cooking time.

I cook my spares for a minimum of 7 hours. If they don't pass the "tear" test, they stay on and I check them every hour thereafter.

Rath *Longest spare cook, 8hrs*

Don, in this case I basterd starting at about 2 hours into the cook once an hour at a minimum. I like what it adds to the flavor profile.

They didn't need as much time as I thought they did when I foiled them. I want to try and make these without foiling them and perhaps putting them in rib racks instead of rolling.

What are your thoughts on basting?

Tom

Tom,
I usually flip my spares once and that's when I baste them. That's the only time. Tom, the WSM works best if you don't "peek" so to speak.

Try to resist your urge to baste so often and try just flipping and basting once about halfway thru and then check 'em at 7 hours.

You just might be surprised.

Rath *believer in "Set it and forget it"*

Tom, remember, when you lift the top you are inviting fresh air in!! This can throw your temps in to a spike espically if the top is off for a few minuets! That is no good!

Rath is wise with no peeking!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back