Looking for Mac OS X and Stoker users

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Joe Keenan:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by james brosche:
Using one probe it is showing duplicate probes. All readings exactly the same. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hmm. Just one control probe and no food probe? I guess I didn't test for that configuration.

joe </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't use a food probe much anymore.

I made a cook using StokerX last weekend and enjoyed using it. I'm a devout mac user and have been looking for something available before tackling the programming myself.

A couple of observations:

- I get duplicate reporting in the upper "box" for all probes. Dosen't seem to hurt anything, but would be nice if it only reported once.

- Would be nice to autoscale the "Y" axis, or have better control of the max. It's not bad at 300 degrees max, but I would like to have control to set it for more like 250.

- Also nice to have the ability to change temperatures from within StokerX. Currently I have to open a web page and make the adjustments. It looks like the boxes will accept a change. Just never gets back to the Stoker.

- This is more a function of the Stoker firmware, but when the unit is serving data via JSON, the front panel buttons are slow to react and sometimes the OS appears to freeze. I've read that the e-net port is crippled. Maybe unlocking that to full Gig would make for a snappier result.

- Ability to easily stop the fan via StokerX software (or some type of open lid detector) would also be great.

Keep up the great work. I have many mac only friends who have bought Stokers by my recommendation. All are looking for a logging application like this. If there is no plan to continue development, would it be possible to post the code for further development. Thanks.

Marshall

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marshall:
I made a cook using StokerX last weekend and enjoyed using it. I'm a devout mac user and have been looking for something available before tackling the programming myself.

A couple of observations:

- I get duplicate reporting in the upper "box" for all probes. Dosen't seem to hurt anything, but would be nice if it only reported once.

- Would be nice to autoscale the "Y" axis, or have better control of the max. It's not bad at 300 degrees max, but I would like to have control to set it for more like 250.

- Also nice to have the ability to change temperatures from within StokerX. Currently I have to open a web page and make the adjustments. It looks like the boxes will accept a change. Just never gets back to the Stoker.

- This is more a function of the Stoker firmware, but when the unit is serving data via JSON, the front panel buttons are slow to react and sometimes the OS appears to freeze. I've read that the e-net port is crippled. Maybe unlocking that to full Gig would make for a snappier result.

- Ability to easily stop the fan via StokerX software (or some type of open lid detector) would also be great.

Keep up the great work. I have many mac only friends who have bought Stokers by my recommendation. All are looking for a logging application like this. If there is no plan to continue development, would it be possible to post the code for further development. Thanks.

Marshall </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

1. Known issue, will be fixed in next release.

2. I didn't really want to autoscale on both axis, due to the added complexity. I was planning on adding fixed temp limits to the preferences panel. I'll try to have that in the next release, and we'll see how that does.

3. Also planned, just not implemented yet.

4. The actual JSON data packets are fairly small, so I don't think that increasing the ethernet interface speed is going to make a difference. The processor is just slow, or the JSON interface code is really inefficient. What are you doing on the front panel buttons?

5. I'll try to figure out a quick way to "hold" the fan. Maybe I can figure out how Amir's open lid detection works.

Further development is planned, it's just going slow because I'm really only motivated to work on it when I have a smoke planned or running.
icon_smile.gif

joe

That all sounds great. You hit on the essence of my axis scaling. The preferences approach would be perfect.

On #4.....when the Stoker is logging (StokerX in log mode) the buttons on the front of the panel are sometimes slow to work....sometimes they don't work at all. I believe you are correct.....the processor is probably close to maxed out. Just trying to think of ways to get back precious clockcycles.

On #5.....one simple approach might be to define (in preferences) a "significant temp drop". If the StokerX value exceeds this temp drop in a given time interval, then the fan is disabled. This fan hold would expire after 5 minutes or so.

I failed to mention e-mail alerts, status, temps, but that's for another day.

Again....great job. This adds another level of fun to the hobby of smoked meat. I have another cook coming up next Saturday. Can't wait to continue exploring the use of StokerX. Thanks for you help.

Marshall

I've been unhappy with the response time for the JSON queries as well. I may have to break down and implement the telnet data capture method that Amir uses. That would lower the overhead on the processor a lot.

I didn't want to because, IMHO, the JSON method is much more elegant. I'd still use JSON for the initial setup (finding out what devices are attached), and for submitting parameter changes.

joe

I just had a terrible experience with a Dell computer and got so frustrated that I went out and bought an iMac. I'm trying not to load Windows on this machine but I do miss Amir's stoker app and the recipe software I used called NYC (Windows only). Joe, I'm very happy to find your program and hope to put it to good use. Can anyone recommend a good recipe software for the Mac? I just need a program to store my recipes (dry rubs and sauces). I'm not looking for the program to come with recipes. Joe, thanks for all the hard work!

Congrats on moving to the dark side! You will love the Mac. StokerX will be a nice substitute for Stoker Log. Take a look at Mac Gourmet. It's minimal cost and very useful.

So I tried the Stoker this weekend for the first time. I also used StokerX but I had some issues with it. all I could do was monitor the internal temp of one of my pits. I couldn't monitor food temp on any of the other 4 probes I was using.

1. Is it possible to track food temp also?
2. Can I adjust temp with StokerX?

thanks Luke

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luke G Chicago:
So I tried the Stoker this weekend for the first time. I also used StokerX but I had some issues with it. all I could do was monitor the internal temp of one of my pits. I couldn't monitor food temp on any of the other 4 probes I was using.

1. Is it possible to track food temp also?
2. Can I adjust temp with StokerX?

thanks Luke </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've tested StokerX with two food sensors, plus the pit sensor. Works fine. It should work with four just as well. What version were you using? The current beta is 0.2, as announced here: http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...0072103/m/8921010695

Please use that thread for all bug reports with 0.2.

Beta 0.2 does allow for adjusting the temperature targets as well.

I did make a change between 0.1 and 0.2 that could have fixed a problem with food probes, if they all had the same name. Can you send me a screen shot of the Stoker web interface, with sensor IDs enabled, if this happens again?

joe

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Luke G Chicago:
Do you have any plans to make an iphone app? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is an old thread. Should be locked.

There's some discussion about an iPhone app in another thread. While it's certainly possible, I'm not sure it's practical. It would be very difficult to maintain the connection to the Stoker in the background without violating the multi-threading API rules. So collecting the data to do a full log graph is problematical.

An app that shows current state and allows control of the temp targets is pretty easy. Is that sufficient? Not sure.

I think Amir is working on an Android app. I'd like to see what the feedback on that is before I commit to an iOS version.

joe

Back