Looking for injecting information.

Willard USA

I am looking for information on how to inject chicken and turkey. I have seen posts on this web site for "shake's injection document", but when I click through on the links, the page is no longer there. Does anyone know how I can obtain this document. Also, is it common to inject and brine a bird, or should I just do one or the other?? I have brined before but have not tried injecting yet. I am looking for any information I can get on how to inject the bird as I really don't know much about it yet.

Willard, I've been looking for some kind of manual but from what I've seen from different web sites it's a matter of 1) making sure you use an injector with a needle that has openings on each side if you can get one 2)inject in as far as you can and as you are pulling out push it back in but at a different angle.I can't tell you how many locations to do this in but I did a pork butt the other day and did three in the top and three in the front. You'll get some seeping from the holes but if you are using rub or mustard it should seal them. Unless you use a light colored injection or are real good at this you'll experience some "tracking" in the meat. This is just staining from the injection. Won't make much of a difference if you are going to pull pork anyway BUT if it's turkey and you use a dark recipe then it might. Don't know if this is much help. Heck, I'm still learning myself . Each smoke I find out more and more. Good luck.

Shake's injection guide makes the following statement:

"Inject brine at least night before, 24 hours if possible, 48 hours for soaking bird."

Does this mean that if I brine and inject the bird, I need to wait 48 hours after I inject it before I smoke it?

Back