Looking for a charcoal basket

Wayne RI

Hi. I'm looking for a charcoal basket with a handle to replace the original ring and grate in my 18" WSM. If you could supply a link it would be helpful. Tired of carrying the entire lower unit around when it needs to be emptied. Thanks.

Check out this link, I don't have one yet, but other members seem to like it https://www.arborfab.com/CharcoalAssembly18.5inWSM

Also, carrying the lower unit to dump charcoal ash is not fun. I use a plastic 1 gallon jug that I cut the bottom out of and scoop cold ashes into a metal bucket. The plastic scoop conforms to the shape of the lower unit and works really well.

It is easy to make your own. Even I could do it with my four thumbs.

Good -- wire the ring onto the charcoal grate. Makes a shake-able basket.

Better -- wire on a Weber 7440 grate (for an 18.5) at 90 degrees. Keeps smaller pieces of charcoal from falling through prematurely.

Best -- clamp the criss cross grates together with u-bolts and washers. That makes a basket with handles -- the so-called 3-in-1 mod. Since I sometimes put a cooking grate directly onto the ring for grilling/searing, I intentionally made my handles short. If you don't care about that, you can use taller u-bolts that makes easier to grab handles.

Attachments

• wsm mod4.jpg
    wsm mod4.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 37
Hi. I'm looking for a charcoal basket with a handle to replace the original ring and grate in my 18" WSM. If you could supply a link it would be helpful. Tired of carrying the entire lower unit around when it needs to be emptied. Thanks.
You don’t need a $100 basket, just add some expanded metal to your existing or double it up with an old cooking grate. The factory ring is plenty big enough, all the ash is still going to fall to the bottom either way so you still need to dump the bottom out

Hunsaker makes a basket for the WSM that has an ash catcher plate on the bottom. So everything (including the ashes) comes out of the WSM bottom when you lift it out. You can buy the basket with or without Hunsaker's related diffuser plate.

Hunsaker makes a basket for the WSM that has an ash catcher plate on the bottom. So everything (including the ashes) comes out of the WSM bottom when you lift it out. You can buy the basket with or without Hunsaker's related diffuser plate.

That may be ok for a 18”, but kind of small for a 22 since they only make one size

Back