Longest Cook on a Weber....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey what are your longest cooks for a single load of charcoal made on a WSM? How many hours? What method did you use? How much charcoal and what type?

Regards,
PrestonD

Hi Preston,

I made it 22 hours on 3/4 bag of Kingsford..those are the 24 lb. bags.

I always use the Minion method for cooking.

This cook was especially long and all the weather conditions were perfect.

At a competiton in Vancouver BC went over 22 hours on aprox 12 pounds of Kingsford.
I used the same method Stogie does.
Jim

Jim --

"I used the same method Stogie does."

That has to be the greatest understatement of all time! I love it! So suavely stated.

20 hours

Perfect weather

approximately 19-20 lbss. of Kingsford

I used the same method Jim Minion does.

Over 20 hours with a little more than 10 lbs of Kingsford.

Unless I'm cooking hot for a short time, I use the Minion method.

I once cooked, 17 briskets at the same time, using 3 briquettes and one wood chip for 77hours and 15 minutes.
In the dead of winter.
Elevation 13000 ft.
During an avalanche.
On one bad leg.

Dave, were those 3 briquettes Kingsford? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

Kelly

Just finishhed a 19 hour cook on my WSM'r. Cooked a 11lb butt an she is deelicious!!!
Started at bout 2:30 yesterdee and finisheder up at 9:30 this mornin. Only woke up once at 3:00a this mornin and steered the coals a bit.
You gotta luv this little Q'r.

Good Q'n to ya

I'll reply to my own post...

I started a cook this morning at 8 am and it is still going strong at 10 pm tonite...I used the same method that Jim Minion referred to!

I just can't find the off switch to my WSM!

Regards,

PrestonD

While it does not qualify as a "single" cook, this past summer, I kept two WSM going non-stop for 9 days at a state fair in Alaska for a BBQ booth we were running.

I was cooking 6 butts at a time on each and half way through the cook, I could consolidate 4 on each rack, freeing one up for another 3, so at times, I had up to 8 butts in the WSM.

As the meats ended up being on different schedules, I just kept refreshing the coals about every 15 hours-or whenever I could not maintain 250 degrees. I only had to use my chimney for starting charcoal twice--the very first time and about the 4th day or so.

What I did was set up a Weber Kettle to hold the ashes. I would remove the top part of the WSM and dump the coals/ash right on top of the Kettle cooking grate. I would refill the WSM with unlit charcoal and using tongs, place some of the still hot coals from the kettle right on top. Worked great for us.

I guess it was a virtual Minion method.

In terms of longest cooks, I did 22 hours once. 18 for a brisket and 4 more hours for some chicken before I had to add a few hot coals to the pan.

Dale

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back