Longer Probes

James Bea

TVWBB Member
Does anyone have advice on how to lengthen my probes? I have a stoker and don't want to pay roughly $50 per probe for longer ones. I would think I should be able to splice into my current probes if I had the correct type of wire, correct???

I bought the longer probes (meat and pit) with my digi dx and found I really didn't need them at all. In fact, the excess gets tangled up. They don't do me much good on my WMS because the wire running from the digi to the pit fan is the standard length. I ordered a spare set a couple of months ago and just got the standard length.

P.S. Standard is 6 ft with 8 ft and 10 ft as options. My long probes are 10 ft.

With my 6ft probes I have to have a table butted right up to my smoker and by the time I snake through the grommets everything is so tight it turns into a pia.

I need some slack.

I'm in a different situation and can get my smoker as close as I want to the table that I sit my digi on. I'd ordered the longer probes initially thinking I'd have a different set up.

Great idea, Amir. Never thought of that. Duh. I too bought the 10' pit and food probes, but since the fan unit only comes in 6' the longer probes don't do much good. The headphone extension solves that problem. Thanks!

You are welcome. BTW, extending the blower itself (not the probe) may not work as easily. That device uses a lot more power and there may be too much voltage drop. You can build your own custom cabling for that with thicker wire though. There have been past threads on that.

Yeah, definatley a duh moment. Thanks Amir!

Just bought enough cables to extend further than I would ever need for less than one new probe, can't beat that!

You are welcome. BTW, extending the blower itself (not the probe) may not work as easily. That device uses a lot more power and there may be too much voltage drop. You can build your own custom cabling for that with thicker wire though. There have been past threads on that.

The 5cfm fan has no problem being run on a 25' stereo headphone extension cable. Just have to make sure to plug the extension directly into the Stoker box and not into a splitter (where the fan extension and temp probes would then be on the same port on the Stoker).

But any good stereo headphone extension cable or splitter will work with the pit and meat probes (and much cheaper than buying the splitters through Rocks). That way you can add as many meat probes as you want -- just get more stereo headphone splitters.

Back