Long smoke for Brisket and Pork Butt

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am looking for some advice for smoking a 8 pound pork butt and 12 pound brisket cut in half. I was planning on starting the process on the afternoon of the 4th, finishing midday on the 5th? Should I start them both at the same time and I am assuming if I used the Minion method I would still have to add fuel after 12 hours? Thanks! Happy 4th

Hello Jon

Im not going to give you advice about brisket.Ive had some bad luck to cooking that one.

Keri Cathy has posted many times on cooking pork over the brisket Ive copied one thread and pasted it bellow. I think over all Keri's advice for this seems good.
Jim

"I like to cook a pork butt on the upper rack over the brisket, and let the butt baste the brisket flat. THEN, after 14 hours or so at 220 - 230, (at 188 for the brisket, 195 for the butt), I'll pull them. Like Jim Bob above, I THEN foil them, and let them rest for at least an hour or two wrapped up in the ice chest. That resting time can make all the difference in the world. I've not had a dry or tough brisket yet. Well, okay, maybe I had one or two dry shoe-leather briskets 20-some-odd years ago when I first started trying to cook briskets, but not recently."

I can't remember who I got the idea for smoking a butt over the brisket from. Chris maybe? Kevin? Bill Arnold maybe? I don't remember... nevertheless, I didn't make it up myself. I HAVE taken the method to heart though, and do it on a regular basis.

Whether it's cut in half or left whole, the brisket still needs to get up to at least 188 in the flat, and preferably a little higher in the point. I've never cut one in half to cook, so I don't know how that affects the cooking time. Just out of curiosity, why are you going to cut it in half?

The brisket pieces may get done before the butt - if they do, and MINE usually do by about an hour, just take them out and let them rest while the butt finishes. If you don't want to wrap them in foil and toss into an ice chest after they come off the cooker to rest, just place them naked into an immaculately CLEAN ice chest that you've rinsed with very hot water, and they'll still stay hot for several hours. That resting time really makes a difference in tenderness, in my experience. When I put a B&B on the cooker around 8:30 or 9:00 pm, we're eating at noon the next day, USUALLY with no addition of fuel. I've gotten as much as 16 hours of cooking time on one load of charcoal using the "Minion method".

I'm a rookie compared to so many of the big-time pitmasters on here, but I learn quickly from them, and when something works I like to pass it along.

Anyway, that's my experience, for what it's worth. Your mileage may vary, of course... /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Keri Cathey:
[qb] I can't remember who I got the idea for smoking a butt over the brisket from. Chris maybe? Kevin? Bill Arnold maybe? I don't remember...[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I confess, it was me... just kidding... love your cole slaw. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Thanks, Doug. And, hey, it COULD have been you. Goodness knows I've swiped other ideas and recipes of yours. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I just fired up the badboy using the Minion Method (well, with a little more coals to get her going, I usually run cool). 2am the 10# picnic went on. Hopefully by 6 pm we'll be enjoyin' it!

For the Brisket, I have yet to do one, but I'd think it'd want to go bottom, wouldn't it? Since it's a smaller cut (a 6# er, right) and you want it to cook to less of a temp (180s vs 195) I would think the pork would wanna be on top. Just my rookie opinion! Good luck with the cook and happy 4th to everyone!!

Thanks for the input. Using the Minion method, I put the brisket on the lower rack and the pork butt on the top at 4:00 pm, the temp. ranged from 215 to 265, at 10:00 am I removed all the meat and kept in warm in a cooler until 3:00 pm. It was all a hit with the party, the brisket was moist and just fell apart as did the pork. Thanks and Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back