Loin backs & spares

tmfast

TVWBB Super Fan
Hey all,
I am thinking of smoking a couple racks of loin & a couple of spares in the same session. I would like to keep em seperate on different grill levels. Which ones should go where? My loins turn out very good. Still working on spares. i know they take longer to cook. Any advice?

Oh yeh,
I forgot to ask. Ive heard about brining in salt water for about an hour before cooking, Ive read about smothering with mustard too. Do the ribs taste like mustard when they are done?
Please help me to perfect my ribs. Ive been thinking about it all week. I am getting better.

Now there's a loaded question!
icon_wink.gif

I think I'd try the loins on the bottom, spares on top, and see what happens.

JimT

Thanks Jim T,
Yup, if your gonna ask a question, load it up. Satureday's smoke is going to be an experimental one. I just dont get the mustard. Ive seen pictures of ribs just smothered in mustard, just dont look or sound appetizing. What am I missing?

Mustard makes rub stick to meat, but does not make meat taste like mustard. The difference between brining for an hour and not at all is virtually zero. To brine ribs-- which I personally think is totally unnecessary-- is to risk having your ribs taste like ham.

The mustard will not impart a taste, but it does work well to hold the rub on.

If you start both BB and spares at the same time, the BB will finish first unless you foil the spares. I would think it could get a little trickey to coordinate the finish times, but worth a try. The loin backs will go 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 hours probably. You could put the spares on top, foil them at 3 hours for an hour and finish without foil till done. This might bring both meats in at the same time ... ?

Paul

Lately I've been using chipotle mustard on my ribs. It doesn't taste like mustard but the warmth of the chipotle does add something.

I use this method when I don't rub my ribs the night before. Yep, I'm a lazy cook but I do remove the membrane.

Thanks guys,
I will mustard up one rack to see what happens. I found some really clean spares. Going to start at 11:00am

Back